It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
(male)

gixxer101 HB User
Colon Resection Just had one what you can expect.

I am a very healthy 42 year old, have never smoked, never drink, and no drugs. I was diagnosed with colon cancer about 4 weeks ago. That is a hard thing to take in. I wanted the surgery as soon as possible so April 5 2011 was my surgery date. I have never had any surgery so was pretty nervous but was very relaxed the day of the surgery. My tumor was in the lower section of my colon only 23 cm from the bottom so the Surgeon Dr. Blankenship in Mobile, AL, told me that is was going to be a tough area to get to but should be able to be done lycroscopic. The surgery ended up being about 4 hours. The surgeon told my wife that the tumor ended up being larger than expected about the size of a base ball. I had 4 total incision one about 3 inches below the navel and 2 small on the right side of my abdomin and one on the left. Upon waking up from surgery I was in extreme pain from pressure on my testicals. This was the only pain I had and it was strong. The nurse said she could not give me any pain medication because my blood pressure was still low from the anestitia. Once I had the medication the pain was pretty much low. I did have a catheter that was removed the second day after surgery. Right after this I got up on my own and went to the rest room. I had a hard time releasing to urinate. I had to let it out in spurts for about the 1st two days. After that no problems in that department. Second day I started building alot of gas moving around but none was getting to the right exit point until the 2nd day. Once I did release it was one of the best feelings in the world. On Saturday I was released and went to the bass pro shop on Sunday and bought me a new bass boat. I hope this helps anyone that is going through this. And sorry for the spelling, I tried to get this posted pretty fast. Thanks and don't give up.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-12-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Please do not post, or request contact information, such as email address, phone or name.

The following user gives a hug of support to gixxer101:
ctaylor30 (04-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to gixxer101 For This Useful Post:
ctaylor30 (04-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
(male)

johnwinter HB Userjohnwinter HB User
Re: Colon Resection Just had one what you can expect.

I went through it 10 years ago aged 39.

They removed the lower part of the colon as the tumour was only 5cm from the rectum.

I had an ieliostomy bag for 4 months. (which was the most unpleasant part of the whole thing)

and now ten years on . Im good.

I cannot eat alot of thai food....well, i can but I pay for it .

THe thing I noticed the most . At the time I was a long distance cyclist and was very fit.
the thing as I said, was that my energy did not come back fully for about 3 years.

Even now, although ten years later, I tend to get tired a little more quickly than I used to.

I have given up worrying . It was hard to do , as it was all i could think about for 2 years after.

I just try to live now and enjoy life.

Im happy to answer any questions you might have

Jw

Old 06-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User
Re: Colon Resection Just had one what you can expect.

Hi Gixxer,
I had resection for colon cancer about 5 years ago. I did not have any post surgery problems and the worst part for me was boredom in the hospital and an allergic reaction to the pain medication which caused some severe itching for one evening until they switched meds. I was back to my normal daily routines in about a week and going back to the gym for my regular workouts in about 3 weeks. I was 59 and my life has been back to normal since the surgery. So it is not something that you need to think you will not recover from.
It is important to follow up with routine check ups, like your CEA tests, cat scans and colonoscopies. Good luck and enjoy your life.

Closed Thread