It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
(female)

ctaylor30 HB User
Unhappy depressed and confused

Hi all I am new here but I'm needing some advice.. My husband who is 28 years old just recieved a stage 3c colon cancer diagnosis.. They also took 26 lymph nods out and 18 are positive... It started in his colon grew into his bowel into his small intestine and attatched onto his abdimonal wall.. I'm a scared mom of 5 and dont know what or where to turn...Today he went to get hooked up for his chemo treatment where he is there for 5 hrs and then comes home with a pouch.. Well on the 20th we meet with his raidioligist to find out when he starts that they said it will be everyday for 2 months and he will also be on chemo everyday for 2 months.. To be honest I did look up to see what our chances are of beating this and they say 44% why so low.. Can anyone just talk to me and help me out??? I want honest upfront answers no surgar coating I need to know to be prepared... Just last weekend we noticed his hair is starting to slowly fall out.. That was a moment of weakness for me it was reality that this is real.. He has not even showed any emotion at all during this entire thing.. Ok ill stop thank you all for reading this if you have and please please give me some advice...Anything would be great... Crystal

Last edited by ctaylor30; 04-13-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: looking for advice

Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
(female)

ctaylor30 HB User
Re: depressed and confused

Does anyone have any advice I am soo lost.. Is there any hope???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
(female)

JJSMITH HB UserJJSMITH HB User

Crystal, there is ALWAYS hope. I have been fighting colon cancer, stage IV, for over 7 years, so you have many options. You didn't mention whether your husband has gotten a second opinion or not. Sometimes, this is very helpful. Please resist the urge to read statistics, because they are just that ....... numbers. Instead, spend your time researching information pertaining directly with your husband's cancer. Being informed is so helpful, not only to you, but especially for your husband. It's very hard not to panic, but you're the one that has got to keep things together. Cancer is cruel & frightening, but once his mind has adjusted to the fact that he has cancer, then his mind will start working & fighting back. The treatments are not easy, but they have become very successful. The number one side effect from the chemo for me was nausea, but I did not lose my hair. It did thin out, but I never lost very much. I also had radiation for 6 weeks with the chemo and tolerated it surprisingly well. Being so young should work to his advantage. Since he's already had the surgery, the worst part is behind him. I was fortunate to be able to go to M.D. Anderson in Houston. I'll check back tomorrow. Please keep us informed. These boards are a wonderful means of support. I don't believe I could have made it mentally without the kind, informative support of this board. Take care of yourself. Probably his biggest worry right now is his family.

The following user gives a hug of support to JJSMITH:
ctaylor30 (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
(female)

ctaylor30 HB User

Thank you soo much for taking the time out of you day to write me back. We go on the 20th of this month to meet his raidioligist.. Then on the 27th he will be hooked up to his pump for his round the clock chemo for 2 months and someime around the same time his radation will start to everyday for 2 months.. He started to lose his hair so today he shaved it off and the took a razor to it so he is completly bald... I promise to keep comming back and giving update.. Thank you again and God Bless

Old 04-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
(female)

LCMama HB User

We are in very similar situations. My husband is 39 and was diagnosed with stage 3c rectal cancer two months ago. They decided to start him with 4 cycles of chemotherapy (Folfox) first, which he's just completed. He will also be starting chemo-radiation in about 2 weeks. The process is the same as you describe for your husband. My husband's surgery will take place after the 6 weeks of the chemo-rad. We have two small children, and it's very frightening for me as well. But take heart... we've also been told that the statistics aren't great, but when meeting with his doctor today, his doctor emphasized, This is a CURABLE cancer. Hang in there! It's not easy to stay positive but there is hope!

The following user gives a hug of support to LCMama:
ctaylor30 (04-22-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to LCMama For This Useful Post:
ctaylor30 (04-22-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
(female)

green43050 HB User

Don't worry. I am a good example of what could go right. I was diagnosed in 2004 with stage 4 colon cancer. Did a major surgery fallowed buy six months of chemo. I went into remission for seven years. I am staying strong. Right now you are thinking about the worst. It is a good idea to be prepared for the bad, but you also have to be prepared for the good.

Closed Thread