It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

araorun HB User
My mom died of colon cancer in 3 days

i am just at loss.

my mother died 4/23/11. she went into the ER with massive abdominal fluid and pain. they drained the fluid the next day, and made plans to move her to hospice within 24 hours of her ER admittance. they said she was in stage 4 colon cancer that had spread certainly to her liver and she was also renal failure.

my mom specifically did not seek medical treatment. she'd been losing weight over the past 2 years, but nothing drastic til the past few months. she was walking around in the grocery store the 3 days before she went to the hospital. she did not treatment, not even knowledge. she told her PCP to not test her or tell her she needed to be tested for anything. she wanted nature to take its course.

my grandmother had colon cancer in her 80s and took chemo and survived. it's obviously a strong fam history.

she went to the ER weds night, she was unresponsive by 3 am saturday morning and had passed at 230pm saturday.

she had time to sign her advanced directive and she was very very much lucid and awake until very early Friday.

has anyone ever seen anything like this?

does anyone know the relation, if any, between colon/liver cancer and renal failure?

and, i'm 29. how early can i have my first colonoscopy?

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: araorun
FEBRUARY 14 (05-30-2011), JuneBob (05-12-2011), Sandra49 (05-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
(female)

Sandra49 HB User
Re: My mom died of colon cancer in 3 days

I am so sorry for your loss. Many people are scared of medical procedures, even they are proven to save your life. Your mom (may she rest in peace), obviously had her mind up, and for your that you should be content. I think given that your Mom passed away of this disease you should be a candidate for early detection. Doing so will most likely help you escape from the same fate as your Mom and grandmother. The person for you to ask is your doctor, but I think early detection normally starts at 40. God Bless You.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

I'm sorry to hear you went through this. I do know of a recent case almost that fast. A woman in our church, in her 60s, was married to a man with lymphoma and her whole life was wrapped around taking care of him, getting him to doctors, etc. She was having chronic digestive problems but everyone (including her doctors) said it was probably her stressful life. Her husband died a couple of years ago but her health didn't improve. She finally found a doc who did the right tests and she had colon cancer. She died about a week after the diagnosis.

So, yes, it can happen, but colon cancer is very preventable. With your medical history you should have no problem getting early colonoscopies.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

egoprofit HB User

my dad died of brain cancer, but he was seemingly healthy until the docs diagnosed him and he started chemo. shortly after starting chemo he had a massive stroke, and layed there dying for 9 months. yes 9 months.

in my opinion, maybe people should just let nature run it's course. the docs seemed to only make my father's situation 1000x worse.

i'm sorry for your loss.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

ddreamsky HB User

My mom passed in 12days. She was a 64 yrs old diabitic and was at the Dr's twice a month. She was never tested or asked about cancer. It started out with a kindey infection that would not go away. She was intered into hospital for that and blood sugars for 3 days. She was home for 1 1/2 before rushed back for blood sugar levels again. It was at that time they told us about the cancer. They said her liver was 95% covered in tumors. There was no talk of treatment. Hospice was called it. They think it started in the upper colon. I have lost several members of my mom's family from cancer of one type or another. I can not predict the future but I would like to say that I would not seak treatment like you mom. The members that did seak treatment still died and the life quility was very bad. This is very selfish of me but I am glad she went quickly. In the long run it was easier on everyone but mostly I would like to think it made it easier on her. I hope that you have people that are around you to listen and just be there. Go live your life to the fullest because we never know...

Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
(female)

lisathew8lifter HB User

first, i am sorry for your loss. second, have a colonoscopy ASAP. my mom had 15" of her colon removed in 5/2001 and was considered cancer free five years later. she was due for her next colonoscopy 5/2010 and wound up in the ER with abdominal pain and a fever in 4/2010. you guessed it, she was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the colon (softball sized tumor) june 7th and passed away on my 40th birthday 10/24. my dad's mother passed away on 7/23 (colon cancer) and my mom's mother passed 10/26. so...you BET i will be getting my colonoscopy whenever the doctors tell me to.
the colon cancer spread to her lungs (was already in lymph nodes in ab cavity when the tumor was removed) and although it wasn't a long time, i am thankful that she didn't suffer treatments (horrible side effects from more chemo) and terrible quality of life for more than she did. she had a full and good life and passed with no regrets.

Closed Thread