It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

grannan HB User
colon cancer IIIc

I am 76 years old and have be diagnosed with Stage IIIc colon cancer. I had a tumor removed in Jan. 2011. I had 8/12 lymph nodes engaged. I started Chemo and had one complete round of oxyplatin and xeloda then during the second treatment the iv infiltrated and chemo had to be postponed until the arm was better. I have been 8 weeks without any chemo. The tumor was mod-diff. I was wondering how fast something like this spreads. I am having my first PET scan and was wondering what I might expect. At this age is chemo really worth it??

thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to grannan:
FEBRUARY 14 (05-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: colon cancer IIIc

I don't think anyone can say exactly how quickly your cancer might spread. Everyone is different. I am wondering if it was suggested that you continue with the xeloda as isn't this in pill form? My husband was diagnosed at age 65 with stage 111c rectal cancer (11 out of 18 lymph nodes involved) and was treated with 5Fu with leukovorin. That was nearly eight years ago and he has no signs of rectal cancer. At that time, oxaliplatin was not being widely used here for stage 111 rectal cancer. Sadly he now has prostate cancer! But he is feeling very well, works full time and enjoys a good quality of life. I would never say it is not worth having chemo, but it depends on your general health and well being. If you can tolerate the treatment, it is definitely worth while.

I hope the pet scan is encouraging. Do let us know how it goes.
Alison

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

FEBRUARY 14 HB User
Smile Re: colon cancer IIIc

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannan View Post
I am 76 years old and have be diagnosed with Stage IIIc colon cancer. I had a tumor removed in Jan. 2011. I had 8/12 lymph nodes engaged. I started Chemo and had one complete round of oxyplatin and xeloda then during the second treatment the iv infiltrated and chemo had to be postponed until the arm was better. I have been 8 weeks without any chemo. The tumor was mod-diff. I was wondering how fast something like this spreads. I am having my first PET scan and was wondering what I might expect. At this age is chemo really worth it??

thanks
Hi Grannann - sorry to hear about the return of your cancer. I have now had three sessions of chemo - the first ones were successful in shrinking my secondary liver tumour and I had a liver re-section, but sadly new tumours have appeared which are inoperable - now I am waiting to see if I am a suitable candidate for further treatment by radio frequency ablation. Like you, after the chemo which was awful, I really said to my doc - please, no more treatment - but now that the treatment options are limited or non existent, I am keen to get going with the new treatment. I am 63 and at the moment have no symptoms - the difficult decision is whether to go ahead with more treatment if I am offered it, or not. Everyone I know says yes, go for it - but they don't have to live through it ! I feel that when I feel worse in myself, or in pain, then I may wish I had gone ahead - isn't it a difficult one to decide ?

Good luck with your decision - whatever it is, it is what you feel is right for you, and not what everyone else thinks you should do !

Thinking of you !

Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
(female)

grannan HB User
Re: colon cancer IIIc

I did decide to have another round of Chemo. I had a mediport inserted and it was wonderful and painless during the treatment. I have decided that if the chemo gets too bad I will take my chances on the cancer returning and stop the treatments.

Closed Thread