It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

seeker04 HB User
Polyps or hemorrhoid, possibly cancer?

Hi, i'm an 18 years old girl, and i just got diagnosed of polyps on my colon.

I think i have actually noticed that something was not normal with my abdomen since about 2 or 3 years ago, cause i noticed that bright red blood occurs several times when i went to the toilet. but i thought it was okay, so i didnt tell my parents yet. and then about 9 months ago, i told my parents about it and we instantly assumed that it was hemorrhoid (since my father and his siblings have had taken hemorrohoid surgery). but then later on this week, i went to the gynecologist because my period circulation is very rapid, and when the doctor check my rectum with his finger, he told me to go to the surgeon because he's suspicious of the hemorrhoid.

So right after that, I went to my uncle who is a surgeon (he haven’t know about my “hemorrhoid” yet). And then he “slipped in” a tube like sort of thing into my rectum and I don’t know what happened back there but I hear my uncle told my mom and the nurse beside him to look at those little grape like things. Then my uncle said that it wasn’t hemorrhoid but it was polyp. So I have to take surgery, and then after the polyp has lifted, it will be sent into the lab for a test. But my uncle told me that he wants me to go to another surgeon (digestive surgeon to be specific) before operation. And he said that how can you haven’t notice anything about it until today? You should’ve noticed it, since the polyps are not small (he didn’t said that they were big though). And I told him that I noticed the fresh blood and the mucus, but I thought that it was hemorrhoid.

I know that I will get the diagnoses from these doctors, but since I’m just curious and I haven’t made any appointments with another surgeon yet, can you help me with these questions please?
1. Is it possible that my uncle is mistaken? I mean that it really was a hemorrhoid.
2. If it is polyp, can you give a quick diagnose if this polyps are harmless polyps or not (cancer etc)?
3. Is it possible to have a colon cancer at the age of 18?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User
Re: Polyps or hemorrhoid, possibly cancer?

Seeker:
It is possible to have colon cancer at age 18, but highly unlikely.

You can have both polyps and hemmorhoids at the same time.

What is concerning is having numerous polyps at such a young age. There is a hereditary condition called FAPS where a person develops hundreds of polyps from a very young age. This is usually treated with removal of the colon because eventually the polyps will turn cancerous. Has anyone in your family been diagnosed with FAPS?
(familial adenomatous polyp syndrome).

It is also possible that the polyps are harmless polyps and if there is no genetic component it would take a polyp from 7 to 10 years to become cancerous if it was going to. Most polyps are harmless.

Your physician should be able to identify the type of polyps found, and if you haven't had one already a colonoscopy would be needed to check further up and examine the entire colon for polyps. From the results of this testing a treatment plan can be formulated. Good Luck.

Leslie

Old 05-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
(female)

jujumcm HB Userjujumcm HB User

your so young to be having these problems so my thoughts are with you. def go to another doc and have a colonoscopy done. its the best way of getting a proper diagnosis.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
(female)

seeker04 HB User

thank you so much for your supports luckily i'll have the colonoscopy soon in june.

i dont know yet about the history in my family, but hopefully whatever it was, the result gonna go well. thank youuu..

Closed Thread