It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
(female)

tlindb8634 HB User
Could use some insight

I have some questions/concerns and hoping to get advice or if anyone has been there done that. 18 months ago I gave birth to my 5 baby (5 c-sections) 17 months ago I had emergency for an incarcerated hernia. A month later I went for my post partum check up and mentioned to my OB that my stomach still feels off, just feels like of full, bloated at times, she dismissed it saying I just had 2 major surgeries 4 weeks apart and to give myself more time to heal. Along with that came muscle related abdominal pain that never went away and finally diagnosed as another ventral hernia. Had that repaired Sept 2010. Still dealing with the bloating and full feeling. My stools could be "normal" or sometimes loose. I saw a gastro dr last week and he just said that he thinks my pain, fullness ect is probably related to adhesions and such from all my surgeries (total of 7 abdominal) but if my stools change at all to call him. So fast forward to this week and I had loose stool but then I had a "piece" that looked like a dried up prune's skin would look like (although normal tannish color) I have had it before but decided to call and ask about it. They sent me for a blood test to see if I had any internal bleeding which would reflect in my blood counts. I was told to take metamucil every day for the next 2-3 weeks and if no better then call back to schedule a colonoscopy. Of course I am freaking out, the only thing I can think of is cancer. I am 33 years old (34 next month) and I know it can strike even those younger. No family history of cancer in general. I had a ct scan back in August 2010 for my abdominal area and he just said that was reassuring that nothing showed up so he didn't think it was anything big and bad. I saw my blood tests online and my MCV was 79.7(normal 80-100) and my MCH was 26(normal 27-33), since the office isn't open until Tuesday I looked it up online and it says low numbers for these can be anemia or internal bleeding. All my other labs were within normal ranges. My husband says I am my worst enemy because I get to googling but now I am just freaking out. If anyone has anything thoughts or advice I would love to hear them!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: Could use some insight

It is going to be difficult to remove your fears but I agree with your husband in that googling can be detrimental to mental health! It is good to follow up on any symptoms you are having but your MCV and MCH levels are only just below the normal range. I am sorry you have had to have so many surgeries and I can imagine how these might affect your system. Check with the doctor when he is available but in the meantime, try and keep yourself occupied so that you do not become overly anxious.
Alison

Old 05-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

tlindb8634 HB User

Thanks, my husband and mom both think I am nuts I guess the dr is actually working from home and the nurse called and said he looked at my labs and they said they were ok, he wasn't concerned at all about the lower 2 numbers. I told her that I think for my sake I want to proceed with the colonoscopy so she told me that they are scheduling out about 2-3 months and the soonest appt was the very end of July. I kind of panicked and told her how long of a wait that was going to be and I left a message with the scheduling desk. The nurse JUST called me and said the dr wanted it done within the next month and they just happened to have a cancellation in less than 2 weeks so I took it. I asked her if I should be really worried now that I am getting in so quick and she said "nah the dr said he really doesn't think he is going to find anything but for my sake of not knowing and how some of my stomach issues(bloating/constipation/weird shaped stools) have been going on for quite awhile then lets just rule out things." So now I sit and think that is great that he is getting me in so quickly for my sanity but at the same time I am freaked out thinking he is getting me in so quickly because he thinks something is wrong. I hate the waiting game

Old 05-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

The waiting game is never easy! Don't forget you asked for an earlier colonoscopy! It will be good to get it done to put your mind at rest.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
(female)

tlindb8634 HB User

Thankyou so much for taking the time to post a response. I had a mini freakout and my husband got on the phone with the nurse. You are right I was the one that pushed for an earlier scope. According to the nurse this is standard practice for this dr. If you come in complaining of constipation, diarrhea, stomach pain ect then he does 30 days of metamucil to see if that helps then his 1st step is a colonoscopy. She just said he doesn't like to mess around with stool blood tests and such. So that was reassuring that this is his first step for EVERYONE after metamucil and not just for ME. I was the one that said forget the metamucil lets go straight for the scope. My husband just keeps reminding me that I have had 7 surgeries in that area and I am also on my way to see a pain clinic as they believe I have an inflammed nerve from my hernia surgery. The nurse also said I can go without drugs for the scope but knowing how nervous I am she suggests I have them. Honestly I am more nervous about being out of it than the pain. I have never to be put out before, even with what they call conscious sedation. So that part is freaking me out plus the fact that my youngest is still breastfed (yes he is 18 months old but lately it seems like a newborn again in that department) and not sure how in the world I will be able to avoid nursing him for 6-8 hours. Do you think if I just pushed for strong iv pain meds and no sedation that would be enough? I just hear so many mixed reviews about it being so painful sometimes even with sedation and other times people say it was uncomfortable but not manageable. It's the versed that I can't nurse for 6-8 hours afterwards but the pain stuff is ok(except for vallium)

Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You will have to be the one to decide which way to go with the scope. I was totally out for mine and woke up feeling so wonderful! Maybe others who have had less strong meds can advise on how their experience was.

Closed Thread