It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
(female)

nikki68 HB User
dr won't perform colonoscopy

We don't have insurance and my husband is 31. His mother was diagnosed with colon cancer and now he is showing several symptoms. Black stools with large amounts of visible blood. Constipation then SEVERE diarreah. He has lost a lot of weight has stomach and abdomen pains is exhausted all the time, constantly nauseaus etc. The dr said that he didn't need a colonoscopy and when i contacted the hospitals they said he was too young it wasn't colon cancer. Help! What should i do?!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User
Re: dr won't perform colonoscopy

Run, don't walk to another physician, preferably a gastroenterologist for a second opinion. Having a mother with colon cancer and then presenting with blood in the stool and the other symptoms definitely is reason for a colonoscopy, no matter what the age of the person. Unfortunately, 31 is not too young to have colon cancer, there are people that have been diagnosed in their late teens and early twenties with advanced colon cancer, cause their doctors thought they were too young or never even considered it as a possibility in a young person.

Colonoscopy is the gold standard for determining if there is colon cancer or other serious condition affecting the colon (i.e. colitis, IBS, ileitis, ulceration)and he should insist on having one.

Good Luck,
Leslie

There is aid available for uninsured persons to help pay for a colonoscopy.

Last edited by LESLIETOO; 06-03-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
(male)

tonyinhampshire HB User
Re: dr won't perform colonoscopy

I agree, fobbing off does no good if there is doubt follow your instinct. I was fobbed off for 3 years and was diagnosed in emergency room

tony

Old 06-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
(female)

Vintage Wine HB User
Cool Re: dr won't perform colonoscopy

I agree with Leslie! Go to another doctor. Does the area in which you and your husband live have a medical assistance program or any other assistance for those with no insurance? Is there a medical school/training hospital near where you live? They will do it.

The fact your hubby's mom was dx'ed with colon cancer is enough for your husband to have a colonoscopy.

Best wishes to you and your husband!

Closed Thread