It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
(male)

drivel HB User
Colonoscopy preparation

I am scheduled to have a Colonoscopy.

The instructions my doctor has given me is to drink half of the Trilyte/Colyte preparation at 6pm the night before the exam and to take the other half at 7am on the day of the exam. The exam is scheduled for 11am.

My understanding is:

* I will have diarrhea for three and one-half hours after I take the preparation,
* I have to be at the facility at least half an hour before the exam is scheduled to start,
* It will take me an hour to travel to the facility.

Hence, I will be crapping in the car while travelling to the facility? Is my time schedule correct?

Anyone who has drunk a gallon of Trilyte/Colyte want to comment on the effects and their duration?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks LESLIETOO. I thought there might be a dirty pants problem. It is rather annoying my Gastroenterologist never mentioned this problem, I told him where I lived. Instead of following the preparation instructions of a Gastroenterologist, I will follow the instructions of an anonymous stranger on the internets and take the preparation an hour and one-half earlier. I have also tentatively decided to stay in a hotel near the facility to minimize the length of time I will be away from a toilet.

Yes, this is my first time.

Last edited by drivel; 07-04-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy preparation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivel View Post
I am scheduled to have a Colonoscopy.

The instructions my doctor has given me is to drink half of the Trilyte/Colyte preparation at 6pm the night before the exam and to take the other half at 7am on the day of the exam. The exam is scheduled for 11am.

My understanding is:

* I will have diarrhea for three and one-half hours after I take the preparation,
* I have to be at the facility at least half an hour before the exam is scheduled to start,
* It will take me an hour for me to travel to the facility.

Hence, I will be crapping in the car while travelling to the facility? Is my time schedule correct?
I have no advice, but just wanted to say this made me laugh.
Very witty and funny post.

Good luck tomorrow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User
Re: Colonoscopy preparation

There is flexibility in the timing of taking the prep liquid. It is also helpful to go on a no residue diet the day before the all liquid diet. That way when you drink the prep there will be less residue in the intestine that needs to be expelled. Since your travel time is 1 hour and you need to be at the MD 1/2 hour before the colonoscopy, if you do the morning part of the prep an hour and a half earlier, starting at 5 or 5:30 am, you should be finished dumping prior to leaving the house. I have been having colonoscopies every year for the last 8 years and always start earlier than instructed and it has never been a problem, my colon was properly cleaned and ready for the exam. If you are worried, you can either wear a depends, incontinence pad, or bring a complete change of clothing along with you.

If this is your first colonoscopy a few helpful tips. Make sure the prep drink is cold before starting it. Use a straw and chug it down, that way you taste less of it. A swish of mouthwash after you drink a glass of the Lytely will mask any bad taste. If you become nauseous from the Lytely, you can increase the time intervals between glasses of prep. Make sure you are very well hydrated (drink lots of allowed beverage) before you start the Lytely. The prep is a necessary evil we all have to endure, but heck, it is far better and easier to find any polyps or small cancers during the scope, than not having the colonoscopy, develop an advanced colon cancer and then going through 6 months of chemo.

Good luck on your exam
Leslie

Last edited by LESLIETOO; 07-03-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Closed Thread