It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
(male)

repgreek HB User
22 years old and very scared at the moment

Hey everybody, how are you? My name is George and I am a 22 year old man that is very worried about colorectal cancer.

Last Saturday I had diarrhea randomly followed by constipation that is still bothering me today (I can go, but it takes a while and very little comes out and it is usually soft, small and sometimes flat).

My doctor gave me 3 Hemmocult pads in order to take a stool sample that she could test for blood. Today she informed me that one of the three contained blood and to see a gastroenterologist. I have not actually seen blood in my stool previously, during the testing or after. I have made a appointment for August 3rd with the gastroenterologist.

I am here because everything I have read on the internet is scaring me. The symptoms I have (discomfort in abdominal area even after bowel movement, blood in stool, constipation) all point to colon cancer. I am honestly crying and I haven't seen a doctor yet. Should I be this concerned?

I'll add a few tidbits: I do not have a family history of colon cancer but my father does have a very weak stomach which I have inherited. I've had an endoscopy before when I was 18 for abdominal pain (but no other symptoms) and nothing came about. The pain went away a month or so later on its own.

I have had random bouts of diarrhea followed by days of constipation before and it occurs 3-4 months at a time, but that is not a consistent time-frame. I then go back to a normal schedule.

My doctor took a stool test herself (it was awkward but needed to be done) when I went in last Tuesday. She gave me a rectal exam and took a piece of poop out and tested it on the Hemmocult Sensa test. It was negative. That's when she gave me three separate tests for three different days. The one that came back positive was from Tuesday night. The subsequent days were not. She originally did all of this when I told her my stool was black (I had taken some Pepto to relieve the diarrhea) and was concerned. My stool has not been black since.

My fiber intake isn't much. I only increase it when I get constipated. It's the wrong thing to do. The only fiber intake I consistently have is a Kelloggs nutrition bar. I do eat vegetables with my dinner (meant, seafood) almost every night and I eat fruits almost every night. I also eat carrots and oatmeal cookies periodically.

As you can see, I am a stressed person a bit considering I'm freaking out before I have even gone to my first visit but there has been no stress at all to contribute to this condition. I usually am a worrier. So the stress I have is when something actually happens to me, not before. I always think of the worst for some reason.

I am not obese or a smoker. I'm a 5'11, 150 lb 22 year old male that is hoping I don't have the worst.

Last edited by repgreek; 08-01-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

tseng1021 HB User
Re: 22 years old and very scared at the moment

Hi George,

I'm new to this board. You remind me of my son although he's only 13 but growing like a weed.

I know it's not easy but try to constantly speak to yourself/self affirmations, that "you're going to fine". Maybe it is just your diet that's causing this and stress-related issues could trigger things out of nowhere. I myself had a health scare over a month ago and turned out it wasn't too bad. I was diagnosed with anemia and other things..

Hoping the best for you.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
(male)

repgreek HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseng1021 View Post
Hi George,

I'm new to this board. You remind me of my son although he's only 13 but growing like a weed.

I know it's not easy but try to constantly speak to yourself/self affirmations, that "you're going to fine". Maybe it is just your diet that's causing this and stress-related issues could trigger things out of nowhere. I myself had a health scare over a month ago and turned out it wasn't too bad. I was diagnosed with anemia and other things..

Hoping the best for you.
I don't know what is causing it. I did increase my fiber intake after the first day of diarhhea. I went from little fiber to a large amount in one day so maybe that is why I have constipation, I don't know. The fact is I tested positive for fecal occult blood on one of the three cards and that is the most concerning thing of all. If it was just constipation with nothing else I wouldn't mind as much. But this is just scary now. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Colon cancer is the most dangerous cause of blood in the stool, but in a person your age, it's certainly not the most common cause! Colon cancer is very rare in people under 40. And it typically produces symptoms that are more extreme.

You might have a sore or a little bit of internal bleeding. Maybe your bowels became irritated from the constipation and tore ever so slightly. Or, eating rare red meat can actually cause a false positive on the test.

It'll be fine, don't worry.

Closed Thread