It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
(male)

Billyray1341 HB User
Colon cancer

Im 44 y/m and I found out last month I got stage 4 colon cancer with medastatic diease I was treated last year for stage 3 and the dr is going to do surgery and start chemo and he said it depends on how my body will react to the chemo on how long I will have left on my life. What got me is my father died with cancer at 39, his mother 36 ,his sister at 19, and his brother in his 30s and im worryed on how long I have and what to espectwith the surgery and chemo. I know a lot about the medical field because I worked for the county ems before I went to law enfprcement and I know I never seen anyone worked at this stage 4 before and im a work aholic and all I need is a pieace pf mind I see my onco before my sirgery so I can ask him more questions and that might help

The following user gives a hug of support to Billyray1341:
LILBIT86 (08-11-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
(female)

FavoriteAuntL HB User
Re: Colon cancer

BillyRay, I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. The question that i did not know to ask prior to surgery was 'am i going to have a colostomy?' The chemo and surgery recovery is difficult. I also refused all discussions about 'odds of survival'. 1 : 100 is still ONE chance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
(female)

LILBIT86 HB User
Re: Colon cancer

BillyRay,

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with any of this! And knowing the history of your family I know does not help in managaing the stress of your own particular situation. I pray that you have someone close to you that will help you through this, but the one thing I want to suggest, and I know it is easier said than done, but focus on your quality of life. Whether we have cancer or involved in a deadly accident, no one knows how "long" their life will be. Doctors have given patients 6 months and 5 years later that patient is still "Living." Take care of yourself, follow your prescribed treatments, but do your darnest to enjoy living. Life is what you make it, even in the midst of turmoil and uncertainity.

Closed Thread