It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

Norinoz HB User
Should I bring family to visit after mothers colon resection

Hi, I'm in doubt as to what to do at the moment and thought those out there who have been through this may help. My mom is just finishing her second course of chemo and radiation and will be going in two weeks to plan for her operation to remove the now smaller tumor from her colon. I live in AUstralia and she lives in Canada and was thinking of coming to stay with my mother and bringing my husband and two toddlers with me. We'd stay for 3 months. Her house is big enough in that we could stay downstairs so she'd still have some privacy upstairs and I'd be close enough so that I could help her with recovery and looking after things within the house. My husband would be on hand to help with the children. My concern is would the children being in the same house effect her health (like spreading germs)or effect the childrens' health. I know seeing the boys would certainly cheer her up but I don't want to harm her recovery in any way. Is there questions I should pose to the dr?? ANy help or suggestions would be appreciated. I also plan on talking with my mom as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
(female)

thedale HB User
Re: Should I bring family to visit after mothers colon resection

You sound like a wonderful daughter. I am only 47 and recently had a right hemicoloscopy (think that's right!!) and am now in the middle of chemo. I was on holiday with my mother and my 4 children at the time (ages 12 to 7) and I know without my mother and family's help I would have found it very difficult to manage.
Your mother will not be able to lift anything heavier than a kettle for 6 weeks. No hoovering, dusting, ironing so basically no housework. So I am sure she will appreciate the help.
As for the children a few basic hygiene precautions will go a long way. Frequent hand washing, those antiseptic hand wipes and gels are a must. Your mother cannot hide in a bubble whilst she recovers and I'm sure the presence of her nearest and dearest will lift her spirits which makes a huge difference when you are recovering from a major illness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread