It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

GerryRuth HB User
Six months after surgery still have questions.

I had a complete colon removal in February of this year due to stage II colon cancer. Never thought it would be me but am glad it was caught in time. Now I am experiencing problem with bowels. I have a lot of pressure in the rectum area and may move bowels 3 to 4 times a day, not loose. Then I go three days without and movement. It is then that I experience discomfort. I use fiber pills and eat a balanced diet. Is this how it will be for the rest of my life????

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-28-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
(female)

FavoriteAuntL HB User
Re: Six months after surgery still have questions.

I'm sorry you are still have problems. I think this is best discussed with your dr. let us know what happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User
Re: Six months after surgery still have questions.

Removal of the entire colon requires a lot of adjustment on the part of the rest of the intestinal tract. If you are having just 3 or 4 movements a day, you are one of the lucky ones. Many people after a total colectomy complain of multiple trips to the bathroom with urgency 10 - 20 times a day with very loose movements.

Was your rectum removed too? That is the storage area for stool prior to evacuation and yes, if it or if removed, the section attached to the anus becomes overloaded due to too much stuff there you will feel uncomfortable. Have you tried a product like Miralax that is supposed to normalize bowel movements or a stool softener? You would probably be more comfortable if you moved your bowels on a daily basis, and be thankful that you are not having the frequency, urgency and consistency problems that many have after a total colectomy.
Leslie

Closed Thread