It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

poppyseed HB User
Rectum Worries

I have been having some symptoms that have begun to concern me, and I'm not entirely sure what I should do. I've had occasional rectal pain for about a year now, but it is dull and lasts no longer than a couple of seconds. It occurs maybe once every other month, usually either when I am ovulating or menstruating.

I very rarely have a small amount of blood on the toilet paper after passing a rather hard stool. I can almost feel the stool tear my skin slightly. It is very infrequent, maybe once a year, if that, so that is not too much of a concern for me.

6 months or so ago I began having thinner than normal stools. It didn't come all of a sudden, but I remember noticing it around that time. Currently, it is not uncommon for me to have thin or unformed stool (not runny, just not solid), however I do have "normal" bowel movements, also. I would say about 2/3 of the time it is thin/unformed and 1/3 normal. I eat more fiber than most people and I drink a ton of water (probably average about 2 liter per day). I have also been under an incredible amount of stress recently, so I have just attributed these symptoms to those things.

But..... then I recently read something about colorectal cancer and began to freak out. This is rather embarrassing, but I felt up into my rectum with my finger and noticed a small elevation near my internal anal sphincter. It was not hard, and it did not hurt. However, it was only on one side, so I am pretty sure that it was not normal. It was maybe a centimeter in diameter, but I am really bad at guessing length.

I thought that it might be hemorrhoids, but everything that I have read on those said that it was in the lower portion of the rectum and generally hurt. I am really scared that i have rectal cancer, and I want to get it checked out by my doctor. However, I have been away university for a couple of weeks now, and it is a 12 hour drive home where my doctor is. I am not sure if I will be able to make it there until Christmas. Do you think I should just wait it out until then? Or go to an Urgent Care office here?

Do you know of anything else that it could be?

Some other information: I am 23 years old and I have no parents or aunts/uncles with colorectal cancer, possibly a grandparent but I'm not sure what age he had it (if he even had it).

I am really, REALLY worried, and I don't know what to do. I know that it is rare for someone my age to have rectal cancer, but not impossible. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
(female)

LILBIT86 HB User
Re: Rectum Worries

I'm so sorry that you are having this concern. My first knee jerk reaction for you is to go see a doctor. There is no reason to sit and worry about something that you can go have checked out. If driving 12 hours is not an option, then contact your insurance company to find out what are your options. It is always better to be safe than sorry, even if it means having to drive 12 hours

Closed Thread