It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
(male)

Jshelest HB User
Question

My dad was just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer that has mOved into his liver. He has 3 large tumors on his liver. The doctor said it could be possible to operate but from what ive read stage 4 is almosy inoperatable. Can anyone shed some light or experiences.

Jordan

Last edited by Jshelest; 09-06-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Missing word

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
(female)

FavoriteAuntL HB User
Re: Question

Jordan, i'm sorry you and your family have to experience this disease. Although there are 'stages' of cancer, they are really just general categories. Cancer is different in every person and 2 people with the same scenario will not have the same treatment or outcome. I personally had colon cancer that metastasis in my liver and they did do surgery. Your best and most accurate info will come from the medical people treating your father. I'm wishing you and your family strength and courage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
(male)

Jshelest HB User

Thank you very much for the reply. We meet with the cancer care team soon.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User

The statistics that you may read are out of date. There have been advances in the treatment of Stage 4 colon cancer. Some liver tumors are operable, others are large but after chemo, can shrink enough to be removed, and some are located on or close to a blood vessel and non-operable. The liver is an organ that can regenerate itself, so if a lobe or section of a lobe is removed, after a few months the liver will grow back to its normal size. Mop-up chemo is usually used after a liver resection, to destroy any stray remaining cancer cells. There is also targeted radiation that can zap liver tumors not suitable for resection.

Statistically, in about 30% of Stage 4 liver resections, assuming there is no disease elsewhere in the body, removal of liver tumors can be curative.

Good Luck
Leslie

The Following User Says Thank You to LESLIETOO For This Useful Post:
Jshelest (09-07-2011)
Closed Thread