It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
(male)

AlphaMale13 HB User
Is colon cancer common in your early 30's?

Is colon cancer common in your early 30's? I've read the stats and heard it is rare but how rare is rare? It obviously happens. What is the info based off of?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
(female)

woe HB User
Re: Is colon cancer common in your early 30's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMale13 View Post
Is colon cancer common in your early 30's? I've read the stats and heard it is rare but how rare is rare? It obviously happens. What is the info based off of?
I was diagnosed with Duke's C a week after my 32nd birthday. From my research at the time (10 years ago) it was uncommon - not rare, but is becoming increasingly more common. At the time I was diagnosed a guy who had been 2 years ahead of me at school was diagnosed as well, unfortunately he only lasted 10 months from diagnosis. I also met a friend of a friend who had been diagnosed at age 28 and came across a 19 year old through the local cancer Council.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
(male)

AlphaMale13 HB User

I just don't understand, if it's uncommon but not rare why if a patient is presented with some symptoms a doctor wouldn't try to rule it out instead of assuming it is something else. Especially if it is increasing in younger people. It sounds like some doctors get complacent in their practice. We'll I hope you are doing well and thank you for responding to my post, I appreciate it.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
(female)

woe HB User

I initially presented with rectal bleeding when doing number 2s - one time only. I was told I was too young for cancer and to take 3 days of stool samples to pathology as it was thought it was a bacterial infection (that was after physical examination to rule out haemmorhoids), the path came back as no red or white blood cells present in the samples and I was a perfectly healthy 31 year old. I said to GP "but I know there wassomething red in one of those samples if not rbc what?" She then referred me to a Gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy that found the cancer. There's no family history of bowel or any other type of cancer in my family either. Tell your GP you want a referral for further investigation - you're paying, demand it, if no luck go elsewhere. The thing about colorectal cancer is it's th only cancer that can be cured if caught early enough - that's cure not remission.

Good luck and I hope you get some resolution soon.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
(female)

FavoriteAuntL HB User

I was 27 yrs old. Like others, they did not find the cancer until i'd been ill for 6 months and they had ruled out everything else. Once they ordered the endoscopy, the dr found it immediately.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
(male)

Gordian4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FavoriteAuntL View Post
I was 27 yrs old. Like others, they did not find the cancer until i'd been ill for 6 months and they had ruled out everything else. Once they ordered the endoscopy, the dr found it immediately.
What symptoms were you having for six months?

Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
(female)

FavoriteAuntL HB User

all of the common yet vague ones: ab pain, cramps, losing weight, nausea, fever / chills. eventually blood in stools.

Closed Thread