It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
(female)

robj9 HB User
Information required about Colorectal Surgery recovery time

Hey can someone please help me , my 93 year old dad has been put through a shocking operation and I need to find out why after just over 3 months he still can't eat and sleeps 90% of the day and doesnt want to do anything but sleep.
I know it was a huge operation but he gags when he puts food to his mouth and can only eat soup vitamised at that.
I need to find this out cos it is really worrying me and my family.
Can someone please enlighten me.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
(male)

brachy HB User
Re: Information required about Colorectal Surgery recovery time

Hi robj9,

Recovery time, depending on the extent of the surgery, for a young person can be 6-8 weeks. Someone your dad's age can take significantly longer to recover. You should encourage your dad to go for short walks etc. If he sleeps most of the time he will remain fatigued.

Talk to your doctor about meal replacement supplements (Ensure) etc. If your dad had chemo or radiation it is possible that the smell of certain foods will make him gag. Try foods that have a low odour (rice, potatoes)

Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to brachy For This Useful Post:
robj9 (10-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
(female)

robj9 HB User

Thank you so much for your time and your reply. At 93 it is difficult to know what to do right. I am giving him hospital strength meal supplements and special drinks to help the healing process and trying to do all the right things. He has just come out of hospital for a Lunch infection and seems to have a little more appetite for which I am very grateful. His will to live is amazing and I hope I have his stamina when I get older...... thank you once again

The following user gives a hug of support to robj9:
iluv (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

FYI not sure if it will help but after my step dad had his they had to give him throat therapy. I know some of it included some sort electric shock and just exercising his throat muscles. He's only 58, but had no problems eating prior to the surgery. It did take months before he was eating properly and lost alot of weight. You have my thoughts and prayers, your dad could give us one awesome history lesson and maybe make people today be thankful for what they have

The following user gives a hug of support to iluv:
robj9 (10-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to iluv For This Useful Post:
robj9 (10-14-2011)
Closed Thread