It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

Nona33 HB User
Recommended colonoscopy, help me out

A few years ago, a doctor told me to get a colonoscopy. I read about it and was put off by the description. Another has told me now. I am 52, and have lost 20 lbs in 18 months for no reason. It could be my thyroid medicine but you never know.
Pleae someone tell me how their experience wasn't that bad and how its worth it. Thank you.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User
Re: Recommended colonoscopy, help me out

It is a very simple procedure. Also a very important one. The last thing you want is to have polyps or cancer in your colon and not know just for the lack of running this test. When I did mine I was under anesthesia and didn't even know it happened. I believe the only other way they do them is some people have to drink the contrast fluid. So it is a very simple and fairly quick procedure. But it also can be a life saving one also. Good Luck. I hope I was able to help you.

Last edited by iluv; 10-18-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
(female)

alioop908 HB User

The worst part of a colonoscopy is the stuff you have to drink. As for the actual colonoscopy it's nothing. You will be either knocked out, or sedated with valium so you are in twilight. When it's over you go home. Just a few gas pains. Like I said, the drink is the worst part but you can get through that. Good luck, do it. It is very important. My 30 year old son was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
(male)

Gordian4 HB User

What were your sons symptoms that prompted him to get a colonoscopy? How is he doing now?

Last edited by mod85; 10-19-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
(female)

alioop908 HB User

His first symptoms were some blood, and some pain when he had a bowel movement. I told him it was probably hemorhoids (sp) but about 3 weeks later he told me he still had it and now there was some pain in his lower abdomen. I gave him the name of my gastro doc thinking still it was nothing. He was 30 years old and a chef working crazy hours, on his feet all the time. The doctor did a colonoscopy and they found a tumor right inside his rectum and immediately send him to the surgeon and oncologist.

July 2011 was six years he's still with us. Right now it has spread but he says he is feeling great and he's getting some chemo.

Thanks for asking.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
I have had two Colonoscopy's and had no trouble with them.
Not sure where you live but in Ireland I had an IV in the back of my hand and a sedative to sedate me and I knew nothing about it. Two days before the procedure I was given a diet sheet and some laxative powders to take.
I think you should have it done, I was found to have (Diverticulitis) my symptoms were weight loss and Diareah.
Hope this helps you. Solofelix.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
(female)

FavoriteAuntL HB User

after colon cancer, i get them annually. one mis-conception is that the test is humiliating. it is not. Every staff i've ever worked with is respectful, gentle, kind, and considerate. I lie on my side with the top leg bent. The meds don't put you to sleep but you really are out of it. There are many options for the pre-test prep (cleaning out your colon). Take time with someone in the dr's office to discuss different methods / products. Some are easier to swallow than others. (Am i the only one who cannot drink gatorade anymore because it smells like GoLytely?)
Call and set it up NOW! Please...it could save your life and will definitely restore your sanity.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

Hey Nona I posted earlier to tell you how easy my colonoscopy was. So let me tell you what I'm dealing with with my stepdad. He'll be 61 on Nov 5. last Dec or so his urine was very dark with a bad odor. He was living in a group home for men. This went on for about 5 weeks from my understanding until it finally began causing so much pain that he no longer could get up. At that time he had his roommate call an Ambulance. He was taken to the hospital a week or so later they did sugery. Well what they found was he had a tumor in his colon that grew so large that it protruded his bladder. So in the process of removing the tumor they also had to repair the bladder. In the bladder they found 6 malignant stones there also. So he now has a smaller bladder due to the damage and has a colostomy. At this time we do not even know how much damage the cancer has done. He just recently chose Chemo, which only will give him an additional life span of 4%. Basically Chemo to make him feel better with less pain.

A colonoscopy is well worth your time in my opinion.

Closed Thread