It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User
Question laproscopic colon resection

my husband just had a colon resection done laproscopically. He had an excellent surgeon. The dr needed to remove a precancerous polph.

Does anyone know what side effects of the dr removing 5" of his colon will have? How long before he can eat or drink surgery was yesterday and we are still on ice and water.

We should hear about the polph a whether it is cancer or not tomorrow.

thanks
for any help, advise and just general information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

jmumom HB User
Re: laproscopic colon resection

Hi, my husband had a laproscopic colon resection done last Friday, the 14th of October due to a large tumor in his intestine which was cancerous. Fortunately the surgeon was able to get all the cancer and pathology showed no signs of cancer after surgery and he will not have to go for further treatment. We were very lucky and he also had an excellent surgeon who did a wonderful job and was very aggressive in performing the surgery. My hubby wasn't unable to eat or drink for 3 days. Then they introduced him to a liquid diet for a couple of meals and then soft foods for a couple of meals before releasing him. My husband came on on Wednesday night. They want to make sure that he can tolerate the liquid and that soft foods pass through the colon before letting them go home. Today is day two of being home and my husband is on a low-fiber/low-residue diet which isn't all that bad. You will be surprised what they can eat. Of course he won't have much of an appetite in the beginning and that's completely normal. He will be very sore so tell him to stay on schedule with the pain medication they send him home with. They used staples on the incision and my hubby can take a shower, just has to be careful when drying not to pull, just pat the incision. All in all, you'll be surprised how well it goes. I know I am. He tires easily but with any surgery that happens. Doctor says the recovery is about 4-6 weeks because of the work my husband does. No lifting, pulling, pushing of any kind because you risk getting a hernia and that's not good. So tell him to just take it easy.

Pray your pathology results come back like ours but we were prepared either way. We looked at chemo or radiation as a precaution and that it was only going to help matters. Keep your chin up and feel free to write if you have any more questions since we are a little bit ahead of you guys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User
Unhappy Re: laproscopic colon resection

my husband polph was not cancer. Thank you for the thoughts. He had the surgery last wed. Thurs. was rough, then Saturday & Sunday was much better. WE were walking the hallway at the hospital. Sunday pm he started having diahrea from 3-7pm. Awful cramping (gas pains) and some stabbing pains. Things went downhill from there. Today he feels like he did the day after surgery. Dr. is very good. He is checking him for cdiff infection and other infections and waiting for a stool specimum (which now he can't seem to give them). Dr also did 3 x-rays today too. We are wainting for results. Any thoughts on how your husband did and if anything was similar in his recovery. My hubby is still on iv fluids, diluadid for pain in the iv and percocet. don't know when we are going home. BTW this is his first ever surgery. He is 56yrs old. The dr did take out about 5" of his colon since they couldn't get an immediate result from pathology. He is eating some foods. but having alot of double over pain. I just need some encouragment with all this. Thanks

Old 10-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
(female)

Ivorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB User

Hi Nana ~ I had a laproscopic Colon Resection about 7 years ago for Diverticulitis.....they removed about 8 inches of my colon at the time.

The best thing your husband can do is walk.....the more he walks the quicker his bowels will wake up. It is best that he walk about 15 minutes after getting his pain med.

I found that milk products didn't go well with me and would cause diarrhea and cramping. Things that will be good for your husband to start out with would probably be applesauce, toast, bananas and mashed potatoes.

Sweet potatoes are gentle on the colon and easliy digested as well.

He will do best on a lo residue diet which consists of most foods that are easily digested....no raw veggies or fruits, no skins of potatoes, no nuts, avoiding high fiber foods with wheat or fatty or processed meats. Lean meat such as chicken and turkey work out best.

Things will get better each day....it is important that he doesn't overdo things but like I said, the more he walks around, the faster his recovery will go.

Laying in bed will slow his recovery down so any opportunity for him to walk to the bathroom or around the floor of the hospital the better he will progress in his recovery.

I hope that things get better for him and that the lab tests come back okay.

Good luck and hang in there.....one day at a time is the way to go.

(((((HUGS)))))) ~ Ivory

Last edited by Ivorygirl; 10-24-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
(female)

jmumom HB User

Nana,

Ivorygirl has a lot of good tips about the walking and diet. My hubby has been doing well, still tired and not much of an appetite but for almost two weeks out of serious surgery is doing good. He has had bouts of going to the bathroom and a lot of gas, especially after eating. Today has been one of those days, just not feeling well. We went yesterday to have the staples removed and surgeon said he is doing well. Said it will be more like 8 weeks before he can go back to work, he works for a remodeling company so he doesn't want him lifting, bending, anything like that for a while. Just getting ready yesterday and going to the doctor wore him out. He is still on pain meds too (percocet). I hope your hubby gets out soon and they find what is causing the problems. My husband did do quite a bit of walking while in the hospital. My husband is 52 and this was his first surgery too. I have had 3 major surgeries and I know kind of how he feels. It is major trauma to the body. Energy level is very low but to be expected. Keep us posted on how he is doing and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully he is out of there soon and home where he will feel more comfortable and not stressed out. I know in the hospital my husband couldn't get any rest and is catching up on sleep now that he's home. I've gone back to work this week and he's been doing really good without me here but I do work 5 minutes away if something were to come up. Prayers for you both and things will get better, it's just going to take time. As the one doctor said, baby steps.

Closed Thread