It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

ISLA28 HB User
Advice needed on Colonoscopy results!

Hi everyone

Well just got back from my first ever colonoscopy! I am a healthy 28 year old female and was only referred due to experiencing blood in my stools. What an experience! I opted for sedation and was given 1mg of midazolam and 50mcg of fentanyl with no effect!! I was in so much pain at one point they had to stop, they did gave me another dose of the painkiller but didn't seem to have a quick enough effect

A 12 mm polyp was removed from the distal sigmoid. I have been advised to visit my GP in 2 weeks (for the results I assume?) and to have a repeat colonoscopy in 1 year.

I am just wondering why they want me to have a repeat in 1 year, when they usually repeat in 3-5 years? Do they suspect something more serious? I have no history of bowel cancer or polyps in my family and only 1 polyp was found? The report also indicates that the bowel prep was good.

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Advice needed on Colonoscopy results!

HI, I believe it was because they did find a polyp. Also do you know what kind of polyp it was? I believe there are two kinds, non-cancerous and pre-cancerous. They can usually tell by the shape. Did you get a hardcopy report before you left?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

ISLA28 HB User

Hi CJ, Thanks for your response.

Yes they gave me a hard copy of my report, all it says is that they found a 12mm pedunculated polyp in the distal sigmoid. The outcome was that I return to my referring doctor in two weeks and a colonoscopy and polyp surveillance be carried out in 1 year.

From reading others experiences and guidelines on cancer websites, I was under the impression that as long as they were not the 'pre-cancerous' ones a repeat colonoscopy should be carried out in 3-5yrs? Do you think they can tell just by looking at it that it may be the 'bad' polyp?

Isla

Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

HI, after doing more research via search engine there are two shapes and 4 different kinds. pedunculated refers to the shape. The different kinds refer to inflammatory, etc. (I'd do a search on pedunculated polyp) to get a good explanation cuz its a lot for me to type in here. It could several things according to what I read. So I wouldn't get too excited. They probably just want you to get your lab results from your PCP.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
(female)

welsummer HB User

Haven't been on for awhile. Just read your post, and hopefully by now you have gotten a good report. The next time you get a colonoscopy ask for propofol. That is what my doc gives me. Once I had versed and demerol, and I begged and pleaded for him to stop. I am very sorry that your first experience was not good. Let us know how you are.

Closed Thread