It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
(male)

kpkiefer HB User
opinions please---a bit worrisome

I had a colonoscopy three months ago, as I am 57 years old.
They found 34 polyps. One was 2.1cm, the others were smaller, from 4mm to 9mm. Some were precancerous.
The path report reads multiple tubular adenomata with low grade dysplasia, and multiple hyperplastic polyps.

I just got done with my second colonoscopy, they wanted to check the area of the larger polyp (the 2.1cm polyp).

That area was fine, but they found 20 more polyps. The size was from 4mm to 8mm. Some precancerous again. Actually the same results as above, except no large one.

All I can think right now is "wow", and I am concerned.

The same doctor did both colonocopies, and he is supposed to be good. I don't think he missed 20 polyps the first time----but?????????

They said another test in a year.

Has anyone else had this many polyps, and having 20 more found in three months? What did your doctors advise, and what you decided and your outcome.

Thank you,
Ken

Last edited by kpkiefer; 11-13-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
(male)

kpkiefer HB User
Re: opinions please---a bit worrisome

Hello all,

Not sure how to update, so I am just doing a reply to myself. I am writing this just in case someone else would have a similar experience or questions, maybe it will help.

I had another colonoscopy on Jan 30, 2012. That makes three in six months, with the next one in three more months.

My wife and I were not satisfied with the answers (or lack of) my first doctor was giving. He basically just blew me off--with the attitude that "I am the doctor--". We transferred to Mayo Clinic, which we are lucky as we are only 40 miles away.

Long story short, I have been diagnosed with HPPS (hyperplastic polyposis syndrome). I think I got the best of all the syndromes if you have to have one. It is rare, and not much known about it, but there are worse ones to have without a doubt.

So, I wanted to make a couple of points for anyone who might want to listen:

1. Colonoscopies are not that bad--you get hungry, you have to drink some crap (I liked move-prep a bit better that go-litley), spend some time in the bathroom, and get put to sleep. It is much better then the option of cancer.

2. If you feel your doctor is not listening--or doesn't answer your questions to your satisfaction---MOVE ON. Be your own advocate, as sometimes that is what it takes. Mayo Clinic said if I would not have come to them and followed up for myself, that I would have developed cancer in less than 5 years.

3. If you have numerous polyps, start asking questions. If I have it right, one or two may be normal and expected at 50 to 60 years of age. More than 10 is abnormal---don't ignore it. Sounds like 10 or more, depending on a few other items, and they start considering that a person may have one of the syndromes that increase the risk of colon cancer.

4. Even though the colonoscopies are not that much fun, most of the syndromes are hereditary----so it might make a difference for your siblings, and for your children to follow through.

Best of luck to you all.

The Following User Says Thank You to kpkiefer For This Useful Post:
MontanaMissy (04-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: opinions please---a bit worrisome

Just checking the board and seeing your post. Sorry you have had no replies but you make some excellent points! I really don't know why people hate colonoscopies! Thanks for posting your comments and advice. I wish you all the best in all future tests.

Closed Thread

Tags
colon cancer, polyps