It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
(female)

Marine1989 HB User
Unhappy Need Advice

ok, here is my question , my sister is an alcoholic, she has drank for many years, she drinks at least a 6pk of tall boys every night, then on fridays and the weekend she drinks continually until she takes a nap and then she is at it again as soon as she is back up from nap.. To us she has signs of cirrhosis of the liver.( But not verified by a doctor) She refuses to get help or see a doctor. She has the itchy skin, the bruising of the skin and not knowing where it came from, memory loss, (especially when she has been drinking.) and Weight loss. No yellowing of the eyes or skin yet. Last year she had an episode of bleeding from the rectum, not while having a bowel movement, but free flowing red blood. It was not really bad but enough to scare us. She still refuses to see doctor. Now last night she had another episode of bleeding, but it was bad, there was puddles in her bathroom and kitchen a little bigger than a baseball. We still could not get her to go to the hospital because she had been drinking. What could all the blood be from. i know bleeding from the rectum needs to be checked. Can you help me with these questions. Does it sound like she has cirrhosis, i was told the bleeding could be from hemorrhoids or rectal or colon cancer....Just worried and need some answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: Need Advice

This must be so stressful for you, her family, watching her ignore her symptoms & her health & heading down a path of possible destruction.

Her symptoms shouldn't be ignored any longer, -but I don't think anyone can give you any answers before she is examined because it would only be guess work. There are any number causes for her symptoms.

It must be fear that is keeping her away from the Doctors, do you think?-or is it simply that she has been drinking & doesn't want her doctor telling her to stop? Maybe she knows her Doctor personally & this makes it harder for her.

Maybe she would be happier going to a hospital or clinic rather than a "person"- might be worth suggesting to her. Try & find out the real reason why she is refusing help if you can.

Best of luck & let us know how you go!

The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegirl For This Useful Post:
Marine1989 (05-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

Marine1989 HB User
Re: Need Advice

I think alot of her problem is denial, fear of what the doctors will say and of course she knows they will tell her to stop drinking. We have all been telling her this for years. And i know that until she is ready for help she will not seek help. And it takes her doing it. Thank you for responding

Closed Thread