It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
(female)

saltire HB User
Colonoscopy today.. some concerns and ??

Hi I had my first Colonoscopy today as i have been having rectal bleeding. I am a 44 year old female. The doctor said he removed a small polyp, and i had some internal hemorrhoids he said he thought would be ok with diet changes. The nurse said i will probably have to go back in 3-5 years for another colonoscopy. Should i be concerned about any of this? Is this normal procedure when polyps are found? I feel concerned if i had not had it done and waited til i was 50 as to what size etc it would have been by then.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
(female)

Pfretzsch HB User
Re: Colonoscopy today.. some concerns and ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltire View Post
Hi I had my first Colonoscopy today as i have been having rectal bleeding. I am a 44 year old female. The doctor said he removed a small polyp, and i had some internal hemorrhoids he said he thought would be ok with diet changes. The nurse said i will probably have to go back in 3-5 years for another colonoscopy. Should i be concerned about any of this? Is this normal procedure when polyps are found? I feel concerned if i had not had it done and waited til i was 50 as to what size etc it would have been by then.
When a polyp is found, they biopsy it - don't freak out just yet, they biopsy everything they remove (as they should)! It sounds like upon visual inspection, your doc isn't very worried, so take some deep breaths while you wait for the results.

Once benign polyps are found, colonoscopies every 3-5 years are pretty standard. Of course, you should always consult a doc if you get other symptoms or additional or more intense symptoms. The good news is that with such regular follow up they are MUCH more likely to catch things early.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
(female)

saltire HB User
Re: Colonoscopy today.. some concerns and ??

Thankyou for your reply. I got the results of the biopsy and its the non cancerous, dont even become cancer kind I am very happy

Closed Thread