It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

HokiPoki HB User
Resection for low grade dysplasia?

I'd like to know if this is normal.... Last month I had a colonoscopy in which they found and removed 2 polyps. One was TubuloVillous and 1 cm. After pathology report they wanted to go in again and look to make sure they "had it all". Apparently there was low grade dysplasia all the way to the base of the polyp (no clear margin). On their second visit to my colon the Doc couldn't find the spot where the polyp had been, so now they are talking about doing a resection since there "might" be precancerous cells on the colon itself. So here is my issue A) Shouldn't the Doctor have recorded the site on visit 1 or tattooed it or something so they could find the area again? -- I really feel violated that they did the second procedure and then said they couldn't find the right place. And B) Isn't it premature to talk resection for low grade dysplasia? The Doctor is going to send the pathology report for a peer review so obviously she has some concerns..... (oh yeah and she doesn't want to give me a copy of the pathology report until after the peer review which strikes me as strange). So does anyone have any words of wisdom? Would really appreciate it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User
Re: Resection for low grade dysplasia?

That seems a bit extreme but if he is a very good doctor and the surgery will help you remain cancer free, then it's worth it. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
(female)

Lore953 HB User

I don't understand something here. If during the second colonoscopy they couldn't find the spot where the polyps were, then how could they possibly find it by going in? To do a resection, you first have to know where to cut!!! I'm not a doctor, but I had colon cancer & they tatooed the spot where they removed the polyp --before I had surgery. That way the surgeon knew where to do the resection.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
(male)

kpkiefer HB User

I have had four colonoscopies in 9 months. I have had over 70 polyps removed, and out of all of those, they only tatooed one of them, it was 2.1 cm.
So I am not sure as to why or why not they decide to tatoo one, although I know that size is one factor.

I had low grade dysplasia also, and have been diagnosed with HPPS.

I was not satisfied with my first doctor (didn't answer my questions--and had the "I am the Doctor attitude"),and switched to a different medical institution, which was Mayo Clinic.

If your not satisfied with the answers you are getting, or feel uncomfortable with what they are doing, I highly recommend going for a second opionion. Doctors can/do make mistakes also, they are only human. Your best advocate for you is you!

That being said, I am surprised that they did a second colonoscopy a month later, that was really quick. With all the polyps that they find with me, Mayo Clinic refuses to do a follow up colonoscopy in less than 3 months apart, the colon needs time to heal.

Oh, yes, by the way, first doctor tatooed the pre cancerous polyp, checked it three months later, said it was fine. Transferred to Mayo Clinic, they did a colonoscopy three months later, checked the tatooed spot, and found residual tissue---and they took care of it.

Point being---once again---a second opinion by a different doctor certainly would not hurt, or even just a consultation with another doctor may put you at ease and give you some direction. I can't tell you how glad I am that I went for the second opinion. It was a whole new story.

Wish you luck--

Closed Thread