It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
(male)

Luda5757 HB User
Loose Stools and Cancer?

Hello I'm an international student who is currently studying in the states. I'm a 20 year old male, about 6'1 tall, and kinda skinny.

I'll first start with my symptoms. I've been having really bad cases of loose stools and gas but no blood. I did see very tiny spot of bright red blood, but I think it was from excessive wiping, and I've never seen blood again since. Also for past couple of days I woke up early due to bad stomach aches.
The thing is though, after I finish the bowel movements, the pain disappears. Stool color is normal.

I went to see the doctor, and he said that my symptoms sounded like "classic" IBS symptoms, and he did not recommend colonoscopy. Kinda convincing, because I've been having IBS since day 1, though I was never officially diagnosed. Meaning, I never had a colonoscopy.

My mom told me that I was constipated very badly when I was a baby. When I entered my teenage years however, constipation slowly went away, but this time, I started to develop frequent diarrhea and gas pain. Whenever I drink milk, coffee, or spicy food, I get really bad stomach aches. Symptoms also get worse after long hours of travel. I think it's called "traveler's diarrhea". But I never paid too much attention to my disorder(cause I'm stupid), and recently during my freshmen college year, I drank lots of alcohol, smoked cigarettes about once a week, and ate college food(which is pretty bad). Also, I was under lots of pressure regarding my career path.

My doctor and parents think that my IBS symptoms got worse because of all the excessive drinking I've had recently. But strange thing is that I quit drinking in April. I stopped because I realized that I was going to the toilet more often. Sometime in April there was a week that I was going to toilet after every meal. Now it's June. I don't go to bathroom as not as often, but I am still having loose stools. I am worried because of all the ads and newspapers reporting that nowadays more young adults get colon cancer, and that it is slow growing. Should I insist on getting a colonoscopy or am I just paranoid?

Last edited by Luda5757; 06-22-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
(male)

bbucsis HB User
Re: Loose Stools and Cancer?

Hey there.

The doctor was right in saying these symptoms are classic IBS. Colon cancer does share some similar symptoms, but there are many others as well which you are not experiencing. The fact that you already suspected you have IBS means that this could simply be a harsher attack than normal.

The ONLY way to definitively check for colon cancer is by colonoscopy. There are other tests which can check for more internal symptoms, such as a FOBT, blood tests, and a rectal exam. If you cannot help but remain concerned about your symptoms, the best thing you can do is get checked out again, say you are concerned and want to be tested just to make sure. Your doctor may tell you its a ridiculous thing to request, but it is your right to feel safe with your body.

If you do experience blood again, especially if it is in or on the stool, or if you have more severe pains, severe constipation, or the feeling of a blockage inside of you (As though there is always something left over after you've gone to the loo), then get checked by your doctor just to be sure. Blood, especially, is always worth getting checked out, whatever it may be coming from.

Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to bbucsis For This Useful Post:
Luda5757 (07-10-2012)
Closed Thread