It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
(male)

MarkHinUK HB User
Syptoms and advice

Im a 45 year old non smoker in England. For about 5 weeks I have had an upset stomach. The discomfort I feel moves around, mostly being a dull discomfort in my lower abdomen, although sometimes in the middle of my stomach between breast bone and navel.

In late May early June, I had a bout of diarreah that lasted a couple of days. It came on in conjunction with the beginning of the stomach discomfort. I was worried as after a particularly large attack of diarreah I found a small (very small) amout of cherry red blood on my toilet tissue. Since then I have had gas, both ends, and a range of days running from constipated, to normal, to diarreah, but with the stomach discomfort remaining constant throughout.

I visited the family doctor who was quite dismissive and said that I had a stomach bug that could last up to ten days. I agreed and said yes that could be the case but I pointed out my family history. My dad was a heavvy smoker (up to 60/80 a day) and drank regularly (beer). In 1991 he had a heart attack aged 58 and thereafter complained of stomach pain and gas in the same way I have now. He passed away in July 93 after being misdiagnosed no less than 7 times by three doctors having had pacreatic cancer. Several of his brothers all died between 60 and 65 with stomach, lung or other cancers. All bar one was a smoker.

I understand that there are many causes for the symptoms but I am very concerned. At the moment I have the following:

- A dull discomfort in my stomach
- My anus sphincter is sometimes painful
- My coccyx aches somewhat regularly (twice a week or more) for several hours at a time
- A constant gurgling in my stomach
- gas
- Acid reflux about 6 times in the last year all at night that woke me as if I were choking

- I DO NOT have nausea
- Food does not affect me either way (it doesnt get worse or better)
- NO diziness
- Over the counter medicines and mint tea have no affect

My doctor agreed to send me for a colonoscopy at the local hospital on July 12, but I have received a letter to say that the appointment has been cancelled by the hospital and that I will have a verbal consultation instead. I am unhappy anout this as again this is what happene to my dad in 93 and in fact my mom in 2005 who was told she had acid reflux but it was in fact lymphoma and she passed away from it as she became to weak for treatment before they listened to her or me at the hospital and doctors.

Back to me: I cant concentrate and work and marriage is suffering. Im grumpy and short tempered and all I can think about is the constant discomfort and what it might or might not be and reme,bering my folks makes it worse as they both ran out of time before treatment began.

Does anyone else have these symptoms? Am I worried unduly?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Syptoms and advice

Hi,
Having had most of your symptoms it sounds to me like my own diagnoses which was H.Pylori and an Ulcer also Acid Reflux.
HP can cause Ulcers and my symptoms with both HP and an Ulcer were.
1. Dull Knawing pain between Naval and Breast Bone.
2.Nausea (constant) 4. Belching/Wind
3.Gas/Gurgling Stomach
It could of course be some other complaint and I'm suprised you have not been sent for a referal.
Any sign of blood from the Rectum should be investigated. In my case I was sent for both Endoscopy/Colonoscopy because I had blood from the other direction (my mouth) and the Ulcer was found during the Endoscopy and a Biopsy showed I had H.Pylori which can cause Ulcers.
If I was you and I was concerned I would ask for a refferal to a GI Dr.
There are a number of conditions which may have the symptoms you are experiencing.
Hope you get it sorted and good luck,

Solofelix.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
(male)

bbucsis HB User

Hi there,

The symptoms you are describing sound very much like IBS. The dull pain you are feeling going along your side and across the top of your stomach follows the path of your colon. The only concern I have is with the bleeding. If you do not have hemorrhoids, blood in your stool or on the tissue can be caused by several different things, both regular issues to severe ones. The only way to check for these things is by colonoscopy. What I would suggest would be to request the colonoscopy again, that way the GI doctor will be able to check for ulcurs, tears, polyps, diverticulitis, and cancer.

It REALLY sounds like IBS or an ulcer though, so try not to stress too much about it.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
(male)

MarkHinUK HB User

I had the colonoscopy today. They found three polyps, 1, 5 and 6 cm which the doctor said she didnt believe were causing the pain. They removed them and are testing so I have to wait 8 weeks.

They are pretty certain its not IBS. And there are no ulcers

Last edited by MarkHinUK; 07-21-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Closed Thread