It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

Lorene78 HB User
Has this happened to anyone besides me?

One yr ago I had a resection done due to colon cancer. I was staged at 0, thank God. Last monday I was schedualed for my followup colonoscopy.

I took the four laxatives and drank one glass of colyte when suddenly I felt sick & had heart palps. To be on the safe side I went to the ER where they gave me an EKG & said everything was fine.. The doc said I was a little dehydrated so he rehydrated me and said to home & finished drinking the Colyte.. I tried, I honestly tried, but when I drank some more, I threw it all up. I can't drink that stuff this yr. Last year I drank it twice, didn't like it, but I was able to keep it down just fine.

I'm wondering what happened that I can't drink it now? I feel so bad, like I've let myself, my family & my doctor down. I'm wondering whats next? What happens when you just can't drink it? I'm worried because I understand that I need a followup colonoscopy.
Anyone else go through this?

Last edited by Lorene78; 07-04-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
Re: Has this happened to anyone besides me?

They do make pills that you can take rather than the drink, ask your doctor for them. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
(female)

Lorene78 HB User

Yes they do have other things you can take, but I've heard the reason they give us colyte to drink is because its safer on our kidneys. I've been told the pills can cause renal failure.

What are your thoughts on this?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
(female)

Cookiely HB User

The old fashioned way wasDulcolax tabs, suppositories and enemas until clear.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
(female)

slrlisa00 HB User

hello my name is lisa and i was wondering if you can tell me how you found out you had colon cancer the reason i am asking is cuz i have had some rectal bleeding on and off now for about 2 mths i have had blood work done everything came back normal popp test done to see if there was any blood in my stool and that came back neg the i have had a rectal exam done twice with no signs of mass or lumps in the rectum and no active bleeding but the doctors says i should see a GI to be scoped so i was just wondering if you can let me know what spytoms you had
thank u
lisa

Old 07-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
(female)

Lorene78 HB User

Hi Lisa,
I didn't have any symptoms to speak of. Looking back later I realized that *maybe* I did have *one* symptom? When I finished going (poop) I still felt the urge to go some more, but nothing was there. Actually I felt fine, but my doctor had been hounding me for years to get a colonoscopy and I kept putting her off. Finally she made me do the test for hidden blood in the stool and yes I had some, so I couldn't refuse a colonscopy any longer. They found a tumor in the sigmoid region and it was cancer. I had it removed and was scared to death that I would need chemo/radiation, but I lucked out, thank God.. It was staged at 0 which meant I wouldn't need further treatment. I'm supposed to get another colonoscopy very soon (like last month) but I'm having a hard time drinking the colyte this time.. I simply have to do this!!

I think you should get a colonoscopy just to make sure you are okay. The sooner, the better.. Good luck

Last edited by Lorene78; 07-28-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
(female)

slrlisa00 HB User

thnak u very much i had one of the hidden poop test done also and it came back neg all my blood work came back neg as well i just went back to my doctor for more supproites and he did a rectal exam and the put his finger he use to exam me on this card and waited for it to turn another color to see if there was any active bleeding and it was also neg he said he didnt feel any lumps or mass in the rectum canal he said he did feel what felt like the end of a anal fissure trying to heal but he said i should follow up with a GI doctor just to make sure i have no family history of colon cancer or rectal cancer so that is a good sign my other doctor wanted me to have a double baruim done but i spoke to a GI doctor and he said you dont have anything done until you see a doctor whom deals with this kinda stuff..my bleeding isnt all the tie just when i get hard stools and then it stops with the use of the supproites so i hope things will work out for the best also does a colonosyp hurt

Old 07-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
(female)

Lorene78 HB User

A colonoscopy doesn't hurt because you are asleep during the procedure. The prep the day before is the worst of it because you can't eat food and you have to drink stuff to clean out your colon so that the doctor can see up inside.

I had no family history of colon cancer either. I'm the first in my family to get it.. I just thank God it was found & removed in time so that I didn't have to do chemo, etc.

You are probably just fine.. Be on the safe side and get a colonoscopy though. You didn't mention what age you are.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
(female)

slrlisa00 HB User

i am only 40 but i had a rectal exam done the other day by my doc and he said he felt no signs of mass or lumps and there was no active bleeding which he said was a goof thing but after 23 days i bleed again today but have the runs all day yesterday from something i ate the er said its mostly a fissure or roids but i am waiting on a charity to go through the local hospital to go see a GI doctor just to be on the safe side i really am greatful to you for helping me and this is fresh blood not dark or dryed or dark and very little

Old 08-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
(female)

Acey HB UserAcey HB User

Your question is really a good one. Some years ago I had blood in my stool and since I had not been feeling well I headed to the library to get a book on colon cancer. Sure enough there were like ten symptoms or signs listed that indicated possible cancer. I am not a wimpy person but...sigh...I made an apt. and even took someone with me for moral support. The expert (surgeon) listened to my symptoms and scheduled a colonoscopy BUT he pleasantly said "I have had patients with all the sympsoms that had no cancer and I have had patients with just one symptom who had a problem..don't worry too much." Sure enough I had the colonoscopy and I had one small benign polyp and that was it! Yeah.

Two months ago I had traces of blood in my stool and lo and behold that one symptom ended up being "the" symptom of colon cancer. Sigh. This true story indicates the truth that you just can't know until you are checked out. Fingers crossed, Lisa, that you are fine. Otoh, don't worry about it...just do it. Hugs Acey

Last edited by Acey; 08-02-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
(female)

Acey HB UserAcey HB User

Btw, I had a terrible time drinking the prep meds in the past. This recent time I asked for and received the pills for preparation. There were alot of them, lol, but I had no nausea or vomiting etc. It sure made it alot easier to get ready for the procedure. Do ask your MD for the pills. Acey

Closed Thread