It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

lillyflowers HB User
Question Help Diverticulities or Cancer No history Adopted

I am a 50 year old female, without knowledge of family history since I was adopted as a baby.

I been having issues for the past 6 months pain and pressure in my lower abdomin especially at night which wakes me up. A month ago I starting having severe right flank pain and under rib into groin. Fever, blood work and CT scan was done, high white count with bowel wall thickening of ascending colon and mesenteric fat inflammation. Slightly low RBC, I was admitted and given IV antibotics. It's been about 10 days and still having some pain on the right side and the usual nightly lower pain and pressure is still there. I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago and removal of my appendix at that time. I have had IBS on and off most of my life. However the past 6 months have been either days on end of the runs or on the other end days were I can't go and have to drink prune juice. This is much worse than I have ever been. I had a colonoscopy 8 years ago and it was normal. My concern is I have 4 surgeons in the group I am seeing, two are stating there is a good chance this is cc and the other is stating they think it is diverticulities.

I was told a few senerios one if it is diverticulities they may wait until I have another attack and do a resection (the pain on the right is getting worse again today). If it is a cancer or a polyp and they can't remove via colonoscopy I would also need surgery.

I've done some research and right sided diverticulities is rare in the ascending colon it's usually on the left and only 1-5% on right, these cases are usual of ascian decent (possible having something to do with the type of food eaten) which I am not ascian. Also you can usually see the diverticula on the CT scan they couldn't. The CT scan wasn't complete it was missing the posterior area and lower pelvic region.

The surgeon attempted a colonoscopy a few days ago and couldn't get past the first few inches stating I was to awake and he was concerned since I was in pain. After going through all the prep I was sent home to reschedule using MAC for sedation. Now I have to wait two weeks I am also worried that I will have another attack of pain in the interim and will again postpone the colonoscopy. I am so scared and the anxiety is killing me can anyone give me any words of wisdom please. Your help and comments are appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Help Diverticulities or Cancer No history Adopted

I have Diverticulitis, discovered during a Colonoscopy.
With mine I had pain on the left side just below the ribs and loose bowel movements also Nausea.
I was told mine did not require surgery at present and to increase my fibre intake. I always thought pain on the right was due to the Gallbladder,

Solofelix.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
(female)

lillyflowers HB User

I had a ultrasound and was told gallbladder, kidney and pancrease was fine. CT didn't show anything with them either other than a slightly inlarged liver possibly fatty liver.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
(male)

bbucsis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyflowers View Post
I had a ultrasound and was told gallbladder, kidney and pancrease was fine. CT didn't show anything with them either other than a slightly inlarged liver possibly fatty liver.
Hey Lilly,

I would suggest requesting another colonoscopy. It's really the only way to check and make sure it's not cancer. The good thing is that since they checked your other organs and they were fine, even if it is cancer its likely an early stage, and very treatable.

But yeah, get the colonoscopy done asap, the only way to know for sure.

Closed Thread