It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: jalisco, mexico
Posts: 2
mammamaia HB User
Question if 1 positive lymph node, must there be more?

if only one out of the 19 removed during removal of a benign colon polyp was positive, is it possible that there would be no cancer anywhere else in the body?

 
Old 07-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 194
LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User
Re: if 1 positive lymph node, must there be more?

What was the biopsy report on the polyp? Was there any high grade dysplasia? If one lymph node was positive for cancer, it is most likely the polyp was not benign but had a foci of cancer somewhere within it. Yes it is possible to have one positive lymph node and no additional cancerous nodes. However, having even one positive lymph node indicates the cancer has entered the lymph system and can travel anywhere within the body. Have you had a CAT of the abdomen, pelvis and chest? This would be a way of checking if there is anything on the liver, lungs or other likely areas for mets. Was the polyp removed during a full colonoscopy or during a sigmoidoscopy. If you just had a sigmoidoscopy, then a colonoscopy that examines the entire colon from the rectum to the ileiocecal juncture should be done to see if there are any additional polyps or growths in the colon/rectum.
Leslie

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: jalisco, mexico
Posts: 2
mammamaia HB User
Re: if 1 positive lymph node, must there be more?

thank you so much for your swift reply, leslie!

Quote:
What was the biopsy report on the polyp? Was there any high grade dysplasia?
...i don't know... it was my sister who had it done and her gp didn't even tell her about having taken the lymph nodes at all, much less that one was positive till a couple of weeks after her surgery when he called to see how she was doing... and then said she should have chemo, 'just in case any more might show up later'... she's going to get a second opinion from an oncologist, but doesn't seem to be in any hurry to do so, which worries me...

Quote:
If one lymph node was positive for cancer, it is most likely the polyp was not benign but had a foci of cancer somewhere within it.
...he did tell her the 'lump' wasn't cancerous... but she hasn't been shown a copy of the pathology report...

Quote:
Yes it is possible to have one positive lymph node and no additional cancerous nodes. However, having even one positive lymph node indicates the cancer has entered the lymph system and can travel anywhere within the body.
...i know, which is why i'm so concerned...

Quote:
Have you had a CAT of the abdomen, pelvis and chest?
...i don't think she has, or she would have mentioned it...

Quote:
This would be a way of checking if there is anything on the liver, lungs or other likely areas for mets. Was the polyp removed during a full colonoscopy or during a sigmoidoscopy. If you just had a sigmoidoscopy, then a colonoscopy that examines the entire colon from the rectum to the ileiocecal juncture should be done to see if there are any additional polyps or growths in the colon/rectum.
...i don't know... she was in the hospital only overnight... they wanted to keep her another couple of days, but she discharged herself ama, being a very stubborn lady who hates hospitals...

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Aspirin
Ativan
Coumadin
Demerol
Lomotil
  Morphine
Nexium Potassium
Tylenol
Xeloda




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



paulcindy88 (7), Nassau one (4), LESLIETOO (4), gwb123 (4), Daisy65 (4), JJSMITH (3), solofelix (3), brachy (3), kjmiller (3), Misssty (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (856), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (771), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!