It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
(female)

Jessi702 HB User
Question First colonscopy Wedensay... any tips

Long story short, I am having my first colonscopy on wed due to some issues( bleesing. Irregularoty and family history)...so my question is, does anyone have any tips for me as far as preps. Ill take all I cam get.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
(male)

gib HB User
Re: First colonscopy Wedensay... any tips

I had my first one two months ago after turning 50 last November. It's really not a big deal, a lot of people complain about the 'preps' to get ready, more about the taste more than anything else. You most likely already know you'll be on the pot quote a bit so there won't be any surprises there either. I did the magnesium citrate prep lemon-lime flavor, it tastes a bit tart and like you've got some Alka Seltzer in there too, a tad salty, but I didn't have any problems drinking it. Had it not been for the medical procedure, a shot or two of Gin would have made a tolerable gin and tonic,

The procedure itself will be over before you know it. If you do have any pain during the procedure, it will only be remembered as a dream. I remember (afterwards) about moaning in pain as the doc tried to work the hose around one of the curves in the colon. I remember when I did moan, he quickly worked his other hand around externally on my stomach to help the hose around the turn. So there may be pain but you'll only remember it like a dream, again not a big deal.

Mine was scheduled at 9 in the morning. So I had to get up around 4 am for the second round of prepping. They wanted me to start 4 hours before the procedure but my first round of prep the night before lasted 5-6 hours, hanging around close to the toilet, so I gave myself 5 hours to hopefully get it all done so I wasn't trying to hold it in on the way to the hospital, it wasn't a problem. An hour later I was done, home before noon, and then I slept all afternoon. No side effects afterwards, no pain, nothing. I am no longer afraid of this procedure.

BTW, they did find a benign polyp. I did have occansional bleeding. I feel good now for getting this out of the way. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
(male)

hbguy1 HB User

I had my first colonoscopy this afternoon and experienced no pain whatsoever during the procedure. I was awake and relaxed with a mild sedative. It was very easygoing and the staff and doctor were all very nice.

The hardest part for me was the fasting, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I went without solid food for 38-40 hours. The trick is to exert the least amount of energy possible on the day before the procedure, and to drink plenty of fluids so that your body feels full.

I basically watched mindless videos the entire day, which helped take away some of the anxiety.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-31-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
(male)

BigRug HB User

These folks hit it on the head. I have had 3 this year, and my 4th scheduled in October... I think next time I will keep a role of toliet paper in the freezer to make it cooooooler! Ha ha! Good luck to you!

The following user gives a hug of support to BigRug:
PeaceNLove7 (08-06-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to BigRug For This Useful Post:
PeaceNLove7 (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
(female)

PeaceNLove7 HB User

Thank you for the greatest idea ever!!! I always used baby wipe to cool it down after going to restroom 10 times aday on the toilet is hell! any other tips????

Closed Thread