It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
(female)

PrincessMa HB User
They want to take a piece of my colon...

I just got results from colonoscopy. One small polyp removed and one " thing" that doesn't look right. Our Dr. Referred me to surgeon to have it removed. he said most likely to expect a resection of the descending colon. The area in question is around 2.5 cm x 1 cm. He said it is still in the pre cancerous or VERY early stage of cancer. He mentioned that he put iodine at the location of concern. The surgeons I have been recommended to can't get me in for 2 1/2 weeks. I am tempted to just go sit in their offices waiting for a cancellation...

But, first question, nuts as it may sound, is dealing with recovery time. We have a trip of a lifetime planned in 6 weeks. First class tickets to Italy, driving all around northern Italy with another couple etc... if I get in and have surgery like yesterday is there even a remote chance of being in any shape to do this trip?

Next question. What do I need to ask surgeon (other than prior question) when I do get in? I was so dumbfounded when he gave me my results today that I hardly even remember what he told me. I have no symptoms. This was just a "I turned 50" colonoscopy. I am healthy and eat sensibly. I am so relieved I did it when I did.

Thanks for any input.

B.

Last edited by PrincessMa; 08-09-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
(female)

Acey HB UserAcey HB User
Re: They want to take a piece of my colon...

I have no idea what a "thing" would be. Didn't the Dr. do a biopsy of it? Did you have any type of scan? Please know...right off the bat, lol...I am no expert but the info you have provided doesn't jive with what I think I know. Marking the location does make sense and I think is common practice.

I was able to get an appt. with the Surgeon within a week and then luckily a patient cancelled surgery the following week so I had no delays. I was hospitalized for 6 days and had no unusual problems. Six weeks after surgery I drove myself to and from the Surgeons office ninety minutes each way with no side effects.

Perhaps you could speak to his appt. desk or his nurse and ask if it is OK to call each morning at 8 and each afternoon at 4 to see if there is a cancellation. I would hope the woman would understand why you are so eager. If you don't get a supportive response `I would find a good book and sit in the waiting room. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
(female)

PrincessMa HB User

I just got copy of report... it reads: Fragments of a tubular adenoma with High Grade Dysplasia. No definitive invasive carcinoma is identified, however, the biopsy is fragmented and some fragments do not include submucosal tissue for evaluation. Invasive carcinoma cannot be totally excluded. Recommend complete excision of the lesion. Due to presence of high grade dysplasia in an adenoma, immunohistochemical mismatch repair proteins will be performed and reported in an addendum.

It also stated that it's a 25 mm polyp in the descending polypoid fold.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

An adenoma is a tumor from glandular tissue in the colon, the most common type of colon tumor. The high grade dysplasia means that the cells are very abnormal looking, which is a precursor to downright cancerous cells, and they cannot guarantee from the specimen submitted that there isn't some cancerous cells in the area. Taking out the area is the only thing to do. You are one lucky lady that this was found and points out exactly why routine colonoscopies are recommended. If all goes well, 6 weeks is usually enough recovery time to travel, but with lifting restrictions (no suitcase lifting, etc). and you may still be a little fatigued yet. Some extra iron after surgery will help with getting your blood count up to optimal. You are pushing it if you have to wait 2.5 weeks just to see the surgeon, as it may be another week or two before it is scheduled, so I hope you will be pesky about a cancellation spot to get in sooner so you can enjoy your trip. Otherwise, perhaps your Dr can recommend an alternative surgeon who might be able to do it sooner. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Ravr HB User

The good news is that this is a fairly minor and routine surgery, the bad news. You may run into issues with your trip, don't expect that sitting in the office and waiting for a cancelation will get you anywhere. Personally I would recommend you schedule the surgery right when you get back. Luckily they've caught this extremely early, I would confirm with the doctors. But otherwise, waiting 6 weeks shouldn't have any negative impact.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
(female)

PrincessMa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravr View Post
Luckily they've caught this extremely early, I would confirm with the doctors. But otherwise, waiting 6 weeks shouldn't have any negative impact.
I like hearing this thought. Thanks for the input. I have appt with surgeon on Sep 4th and will run in if he has cancellation.
B.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I agree, why do you have to have this surgery now? is it a fast growing tumor? most of these are slow growing (hubby colon cancer survivor from 03). PLus hope you have a gastro surgerical oncologist doing the surgery. Very important. Not just a regular old surgeon. So set back, think it thru, find the right dr. enjoy your trip. cj

Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
(female)

Acey HB UserAcey HB User

I just thought of something! Why not go see your primary physician and let him explain exactly what the report means, ask him your questions and see if he also believes that you need to see that particular surgeon. Often primary physicians will fit you in for a quick conference in between scheduled patients. At the absolute least you will feel like you are making progress in understanding the problem and possible impacts.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
(female)

HeatherJane HB User

To answer your recovery time question. It depends on wether or not they use keyhole surgery or cut you open. I had my whole colon removed and I was in hospital for a week, and was feeling better several days after I got out. It depends on the surgery and how quick you yourself heal. Everybody is different when it comes to healing.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User

I had similar surgery for similar situation 5 years ago. The tumor mass was biopsied several times and came back negative for cancer. They found early stage cancer in the tumor after it was removed. The surgery was done laproscopically, but I am not sure that is a big advantage other than the scar is smaller. My doctor said you never know if you can do it open or laprascopically until he is actually into the surgery itself. He starts lapro and will finish that way if possible. The advantage is smaller scar and faster healing time. The disadvantage is a longer surgery time than open cut surgery.

After my return from the Hospital I was back to normal daily routine in two weeks and back in the gym with regular exercise routines in about 4 weeks. My only negative experience was being bored in the hospital for the few days after the surgery before they release you to go home.

You are very lucky they have caught this early and you should have no problems. But I highly recommend you have a colorectal surgeon, not just a regular surgeon.

I have traveled to Italy often and you will have a wonderful trip. Autumn is a beautiful time to go. I would be concerned that you might have a post op infection problem or some other minor post op situation. Travel Insurance normally does not cover a pre existing situation so you may want to investigate your insurance situation. I would guess that normally you would be fine to travel, I would have been, but
It is not fun to get sick in a foreign country and have doctors and nurses who don't speak your language.

Closed Thread