It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
(female)

Silverrain704 HB User
Oxaliplatin, 5FU and Leucovorin and Avastin

This is my first time to write on here. I was diagnosed with colon cancer Feb.2010 with a 6 month lifetime. Got admitted to MD Anderson in Houston and here I am over 2 years later. I started on Oxaliplatin, 5FU, and Avastin..The past several months was on Ironitican . After a chemo break I go back to the original cocktail that I started on. I was so ill in the beginning it is hard to remember the side effects altho I know it was mostly nausea..Do others take this combination and have good results ? Thanks, I guess I am just getting nervous since I have been off chemo for 5 months now and really dread going back to it..The only time I have ever felt ill with the cancer is when I am on the chemo..

Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
(male)

crcountry HB User
Re: Oxaliplatin, 5FU and Leucovorin and Avastin

If you have liver dominant disease, consider SIR-Spheres Y-90...a FDA approved liver directed therapy for non-resectable mCRC with overall survival data proven in Phase II/III prospective studies in JCO/BJC/and many other oncology journals.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

Just to encourage you if you do go back on original treatment plan. A friend of mine had to do the same regimen minus the Avastin. After the first treatment second time around, his wife said No More! However, after a few days he felt somewhat better and actually completed the whole plan. He felt wiped out after each treatment but bounced back and was able to work throughout. I wish you all the best, whichever treatment you decide to take.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
(male)

mstults HB User

Since you have already had it it is hard to tell you anything you don't already know. I just finished my 4th round of the same drugs minus the Avastin. I'm tolerating it quite well. Biggest side effect is fatigue. The neuropathy is gradually getting worse so that may be a concern for you since you have already received treatments. I am dreading winter time because of that. I have a relative thats taken 3 more treatments than I have of the same drugs. Her side effects are mostly the fatigue and mouth soreness. So far I haven't experienced sores in mouth. I haven't even lost my hair. My Dr. says this combo of drugs has far less side effects than some. Its not fun but the alternative isn't very appealing. Since mine has metastisized to my liver I will be on it indefinately.

Closed Thread