It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
(female)

hopeonhope HB User
Unhappy New to this illness

Hello,

Four months ago my husband was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. It is in his liver, too. His cancer is caused by genetics.
CEA marker of 16. They started FOLFOX, but after four months, CEA marker jumped to 65 and all tumors grew significantly. Now they just put him on 5 FU. They did this because platelets and white cell count keep dropping despite meds. They think the testicular cancer treatment he had 15 years ago affected his bone marrow and that is why he is having trouble now.

Any caregivers or survivors/patients that have dealt with this kind of thing, having treatment from long ago affect bone marrow after all these years? Can bone marrow be permanently affected by chemo? Any ideas how to boost those platelets? Fear is platelets will continue to plummet and they won't be able to treat him...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
(female)

hopeonhope HB User
Re: New to this illness

Husband has been in hospital for three days. He had fever and chills. that is now under control, but his platelets have rapidly dropped from 75 to 47 in one week. later today if his platelets continue to fall at this rate or gets too low, they will infuse blood. They are stopping all chemotherapy until this is resolved. They may do a biopsy of his bone marrow, too. I am praying for healing in this so he can continue treatment.

The following user gives a hug of support to hopeonhope:
vietgirl (09-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
(female)

Acey HB UserAcey HB User
Re: New to this illness

Sending supportive thoughts your way and crossing my fingers, too. Hugs

Closed Thread