It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

vietgirl HB User
Newly Diagnosis

Hello all, just saying hello to everyone so I can start the communication.
I was diagnosis with colon cancer a month a ago. Second week recovering from my surgery and just found out that I'm in stage 31A. In the process of looking for an oncologist with a second opinion plan. How many of you got a second opinion? I'm kinda lucky I guess because MD Anderson is 3 hours a way so I'm thinking I will get my second opinion there. I was looking at some of the post to decide if whether I should go thru chemo or not. I would like to go thru the Whole Food eating to prevent the cancer from coming back. Did anyone went this route instead of chemo or thought about it. I will be 45 in September so I have a long way to go so I would like to fight this cancer without chemo if I still have some time to make this Whole Food health work. What are your thoughts? I feel like I know you guys so well after reading all the threads. Thank you so much for sharing. It really help me at this stage of the cancer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
(female)

Acey HB UserAcey HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosis

I think you should reach out for the second opinion asap. Really you can't make a good choice until you know what the experts say. In my case (and I am not an expert) I was referred to an Oncologist who had all my files/reports which were forwarded by the Surgeon. The Oncologist reviewed all the data, he asked me a slew of questions and then he did a physical exam (bp, chest, etc.). He then entered all the data into his computer program and about fifteen minutes later came back into the examining room. He reviewed the findings of my surgeon and the biopsies and strongly suggested that I begin chemo within two weeks.

The report provided graphs which indicated the possible recurrence of cancer with chemo and the possible recurrence of cancer if I did not do chemo. In my case there was not a
big difference. Although I am sure very few people embrace chemo it obviously has saved/extended lives for thousands of people. Due to my personal lifestyle and unusually time consuming obligations to family members with health needs I opted to not do chemo and am hoping that by changing my diet (going organic) and attempting to limit stress I will not have a recurrence. Do not take this as an endorsement. I am in my seventies which is also a big factor.

Gathering the information to your own satisfaction is my suggestion. The decision can not be delayed for an extended period of time but certainly you have time to seek out a second opinion so you will be comfortable with your choice. Hugs.

Last edited by Acey; 08-30-2012 at 09:05 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
vietgirl (08-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
(female)

vietgirl HB User

Acey thanks for the reply. So how long has it been since your surgery? How often are you checking to make sure you have a clean bill of health? Has your new eating habit improved your lifestyle. So do you still work with your Oncologist to check regularly or your PCP?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
(female)

Acey HB UserAcey HB User

It's been about three months since my surgery, etc. My Primary will be monitoring my health with visits about every three months. The dietary changes haven't been all that shocking or radical although some nights I dream of pigging out on prime rib or coconut cream pie, lol.

For me it has been inteesting researching the good, the bad and the ugly of dietary restrictions. I expected that there would be "one" set of rules that were agreed upon by the medical professionals. Evidently, not. For example most everyone on the Boards stress that cancer thrives on sugar so avoid sugar. I don't use much sugar so that was no traumatic thought for me. Subsequently I found that a well known and huge medical center says that is a myth. That blew me away. Later I found a major Ivy league site that debunks alot of other "common" dietary thoughts.

Other than being dx'd the diversity of nutrirional thinking has been my biggest shock. I assume that means that we are all in charge of our own destiny and unfortunately have to make our own decisions. I wish everyone well. Have you made your appt?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
(female)

vietgirl HB User

Going see my oncologist next Friday. Meanwhile trying to arm myself with facts that hopefully he can help me decide if I need chemo or not. Hope oncologist is ready for my questions. I'm not going to decide to do it right away. Really want to make sure this is the right treatment for me. How long can we wait before we should go thru chemo? Found this site and the book and currently reading it.

<removed>

I really hate the thought of having poison in my body as a cure. When I got the PET scan it was such an awful feeling to have the radioactive sugar going thru my vein. I'm trying to cure my cancer, I feel like we are trying to feed it. I'm one of those people who don't even take any pain killer unless I'm dying. In the hospital I was off the morphine pump by the second day. Have not taken anything for pain since then. Obviously I need to go pray and ask God to help guide me to the right path. Any help out there will truly be appreciated. Thanks Acey for sharing.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-31-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
(female)

Acey HB UserAcey HB User

I'm glad you have the appt. scheduled and certainly I understand the need to study and gather info. I thought that I'd toss in one more thing although I hesitate to share info since I am not a rocket scientist and am new to this arena. But, lol, I was very shocked that the Oncologist stressed that it was necessary to make a decision within a short timeframe. Naively I expected that I would be able to mull over the choice for a few months. Not.

Figured I might share that with you so you don't feel blindsided "if" you are also encouraged to make a quicker decision than you expect. Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to Acey:
vietgirl (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
(female)

vietgirl HB User

Will stand my ground and tell them that I will need more time to decide. I'm actually exhausted doing all this research, but I feel very good that I have other options and not only one. Thanks Acey.

Closed Thread