It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
(male)

tkm1791 HB User
Recent Surgery For Colon Cancer And Have Some Questions

I'm a 41 y/o man who recently had surgery Sept. 4, 2012 to remove part of my colon. Stage 3, 27 lymph nodes removed only 2 bad. On my 4th flofox treatment and Dr. says I will be fine. He is a very positive Dr. Treatment not to bad I guess just really tired during the week of treatment and the constipation afterwards. But my questions are first the less bad lymph nodes the better right. Some info on my Dr., he went through the samething as me at the same age 38/41 that is why he is so positive. And of course everything he has seen so far. I'm trying to feel the sameway, I do but it is hard sometime's. But after surgery how long was it till you feel normal again, inside and out. i have slight pains near the scar and general areas of my stomach. Nothing bad and I've hear that is normal. Some people say they have that up to a year afterwards. i assume its nerve endings. Also, is there a chat room for colon cancer online someplace. I feel ok, but still somewhat restricted and of course tired. If all goes good when can you get the port out? Just some questions, my wife's aunt has stage 4 and I've talked to her but would like other input. She has helped me alot though. One other note, my wife has been outstanding through this. To have someone that loves you can give you the extra will you need to beat this. This is at least how I feel. God Bless everyone and hope you are all safe and well tonight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
(male)

EPV HB User
Re: Recent Surgery For Colon Cancer And Have Some Questions

Hello. I am a first time member and I, too, am a Stage 3 colon cancer survivor. By now, your chemo treatments should be done and I hope you are well and feeling better. I had 1 node infected with cancer out of 27. My surgery was in first week of January 2013 and I am done with my chemo treatment, which again were the same as your's. I recently had my port removed. The doctor said they usually recommend leaving them in for one year following your last chemo treatment. All my tests (CT scans, Blood tests, colonoscopy) were clear, so I had it removed a tad early. Exerice, exercise, exercise. All I do is walk on tread mill 30min and stationary bike for 30minutes everyday. Lots of greens. NO SUGAR, NO SALT. Stay positive my friend.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
(male)

tkm1791 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPV View Post
Hello. I am a first time member and I, too, am a Stage 3 colon cancer survivor. By now, your chemo treatments should be done and I hope you are well and feeling better. I had 1 node infected with cancer out of 27. My surgery was in first week of January 2013 and I am done with my chemo treatment, which again were the same as your's. I recently had my port removed. The doctor said they usually recommend leaving them in for one year following your last chemo treatment. All my tests (CT scans, Blood tests, colonoscopy) were clear, so I had it removed a tad early. Exerice, exercise, exercise. All I do is walk on tread mill 30min and stationary bike for 30minutes everyday. Lots of greens. NO SUGAR, NO SALT. Stay positive my friend.
Thanks for responding. I to have had the port removed. I had 2 out of 24 infected. What is your age. I have exercised some but had to have a hernia repaired so still can't exercise like I want, but soon. Having a hard time eating a better, that to is a work in progress. But not really bad. My doctor seems really upbeat about everything so I have tried to be as well.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
(male)

EPV HB User

I will be turning 65 this Novmeber. I think I gave the wrong date of my surgery; it was Jan 2012 not 2013, so I've past the one year mark without recurrence. It's too bad you got the hernia. I was warned about that potential, so all I did for excercise for the first 9 months was walking and the stationary bike. 3 months ago I started crunches to help strenghten the stomach muscles. I have kept my wieght down at the 210 level (used to be 225). Like I said I avoid sugar, salts and red meat. As each year goes by and my tests keep scoring "no recurrence" then odds of ever coming back keep dropping. Good luck and keep getting better.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi my hubby had colorectal cancer in 03 it was the size of a softball. We never could get answers on nodes. He got an hernia as well. He's doing really well now except he has to be near a bathroom cuz when he has to go he has to go quickly.

He has to watch what he eats too things upsets his tummy. He doesn't exercise, never has.

He didn't have a port what is it? Thanks cathy

Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
(male)

EPV HB User

I had 12 chemotherapy sessions and rather than poking a needle into me every session to do the transfusion of cancer fighting drugs into me, they inserted a small device into my upper chest area called a port. This device lies just under the skin and allow the nurse to insert the needle and start the transfusion. It helps the nurse by not having to worry about finding the damn vien. It also helps in the transfusion by allowing the drugs to flow into the vien faster. If your husband had to go thru chemo treatments they should have offered him this option.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

No they stuck him each time he only had it two weeks and then orally six months.cathy

Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
(male)

tkm1791 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noevr View Post
No they stuck him each time he only had it two weeks and then orally six months.cathy
What stage was your husband? What is his age? The port sucked but it is better with one. Did he get the hernia fixed?

Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
(male)

tkm1791 HB User

Epv, I know it hasn't been long but do you feel normal again? How much of your colon was removed? Do you drink at all? Nice to have someone to chat with about this.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
(male)

EPV HB User

I think I'm one of the luckly ones as I feel pretty much back to normal. I was walking and biking before the surgery and I think that helped a lot in my recovery. The nurses desk called me the walking fool, but I got out in 5 days. 1/2 my colon and appendix were removed. My wife has read up and knows more about my cancer than I think some of the doctors and so my diet is carefully monitored by her. Again, no sugars, red meat, salt. Chicken, fish, turkey, and tons of salad. The doctors recommend that you don't drink, but they say a drink or two is not going to kill you. Sugar feeds cancer and drinks have that. I limit it to fishing trips and special occasions. Sounds like you have gone thru these stages already...how far along are you?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
(male)

tkm1791 HB User

Just past 8 months. 3 weeks since I had the hernia fixed, so the recovery has been a bit slow. Have not had a drink yet and no red meat in 6 months. Had red meat 3 times in first 2 months but nothing since. Need to eat better, but don't eat to bad. Do have some sugar that I am trying to cut out. Plan on starting to exercise again this week, hernia and chemo made it hard. I drank to much before but will never know what caused it. Just need to get heatlhy and take care of myself better.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know my hubby was heavy beer drinker prior to his colon csncancer and I directly ask the dr in front of him if it had to do anything with the cancer and he said no it really made me mad because I had read that it had . Cathy

Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
(male)

tkm1791 HB User

I really think it did for me. I asked my dr. as well and he said no. But I have seen it as & cause on American Cancer Soc. I wish I had quite years ago. I had a grandfather get it but was 85 and worked in the coal mines. Besides that no one else. Never ate great but not to nmbad. Just 10 pounds or so overweight when not in shape. So I don't know.

Reply Reply