HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Colon (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-colon/)
-   -   Could this be anything other than Colon Cancer? I am 18, very scared, and have spent (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-colon/935087-could-anything-other-than-colon-cancer-i-am-18-very-scared-have-spent.html)

Justin1994 01-12-2013 04:36 PM

Could this be anything other than Colon Cancer? I am 18, very scared, and have spent

**DISCLAIMER, this is a long post, I am sorry for that. I had a lot to type, and I just really needed to vent, and see if anyone could give me some advice. ALL advice and all comments are appreciated.**

Before I get into this, I am an 18 year old male, I am 6'0 and 250 pounds. I am about 50 pounds overweight and have a really bad diet.

Since I was as young as 5 years old, I have had a pretty bad digestive system. I have always had a bowel movement every 3-4 days and a lot of the time I have always had to strain. I went to the doctors for this when I was younger and they told my mother I had an abnormally large colon and it was nothing to worry about. Fast forward to last year around February and that is when my symptoms started.

I noticed that I was having an extra long bout of constipation and I had not gone to the bathroom in about 5-6 days. Keep in mind I have never in my life regularly gone to the bathroom. I finally decided to take a laxative and about 12 hours later I had a bowel movement. The bowel movement seemed normal until I wiped... I seen A LOT of blood... It was not black or tarry but there was a lot of it on the toilet paper and it was bright red. Throughout my life I have always gotten a little bit of bright red blood on the toilet paper but never to the point to where it looked like my nose got busted open.

I freaked out and went downstairs and told my dad, and he told me it was most likely a hemorrhoid because he has them too. I believed him but me being the worrier that I am, I started to look up constipation with blood on the internet and start to find that it was a symptom of Colon Cancer. I was very scared. This was all last February.

Fast forward 6 months and now we are in June. I have not had blood since February but I have still been very constipated and have started to use suppositories every few days in order to have a bowel movement. All is good until I started to get dull sharp pains all over my stomach but mostly on my left side. My stomach was bloated, I had gas pains, sharp pains, and cramps. It is was not unbearable pain, it was just a pain that was annoying and with my anxiety, it made me think the worst and it still does to this day.

I scheduled a Doctors appointment because of these pains, because I seen a lot of blood on the toilet paper for a second time, I also had a pencil thin stool, and also developed a swollen purple bump on my anus.

I went to the doctor, she said that it was a hemorrhoid, and she thinks that my stomach pains were the result of IBS. She did blood work and it came back fine.

After that appointment I still had the pains but I mentally felt fine due to her saying it is something minor like IBS. The pains went away shortly after the appointment and did not return until 4 months later which would be this December that just passed.

Keep in mind, these pains are on and off, tend to be worse when I eat greasy food, and sometimes go away for weeks at a time.

The pain returning was scary enough, but I also have recently noticed that I have a lot of small (pea to marble sized) rubbery bumps all over the upper left side of my abdominal wall. Kind of by the bottom of my left rib. When I lay down or bend a certain way, I can actually feel some of them click against my rib. Think of the sound of when you push a jar lid down and it pops back up. That's what it sounds like.

I have another doctors appointment scheduled for the 28th, but with this last year being nothing but stomach pains, constant constipation, anxiety, depression from spending my days worrying so much, I am very worried about what could be happening in my body to make this happen to me.

Has anyone ever had any of these symptoms and it turned out to be nothing that is too serious? One whole year of my life has been wasted wondering if I have a deadly illness at the young age of 18 and I am beyond sick of it. I wish all of this would just go away.

West64408 02-06-2013 07:29 AM

Re: Could this be anything other than Colon Cancer? I am 18, very scared, and have sp

I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. I'm 19 years old and I think I have colon cancer too. I have had terrible health anxiety for as long as I can remember. I have had lower right abdominal pain for 2 months now and I went to the doctor and she said it was IBS too. I'm going back today for another opinion though. But while cancer can strike at any age, 18 is pretty young to have colon cancer. It could very well be something as simple as hemorrhoids. It's good that you're going to the doctor again, but I say this seriously, ask the doctor if they can somehow look inside your abdomen. Be it a colonoscopy, at CT scan, even an x-ray. Something to put your mind at ease.