It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
(male)

KiloNovember HB User
Another concerned hypochondriac... Opinions?

Ok.. So im 25years old.. male.. healthy? I'm not new to self diagnosing or anything. But before anyone tells me to go to a doc. I already have.

My first cancer scare started in August 2012 with a lymphoma scare. I had multiple enlarged nodes in my submandibular and suprerclavical areas that were my only "symptoms" at the time. They are still enlarged. Had an exisional biopsy and blood tests and CT's done october 2012 that came back negative for malignancy.Diagnosis was Atypical B Cell Lymphoproliferative disorder. Basically a reactive hyperplasia with no answer as to what was causing it.. Sweat..

Anyways after that I was referred to an oncologist who I have seen since in sort of a watch and wait type situation. But my real conver for colorectal cancer has come from some recent events that iv already spoken to my onc with and he refered my to a GI which I am seeing next week.

I have lost 44lbs since January (2013). I was 195lbs now I am 151lbs this morning. I have experienced very inconsistent bowel movements for quite some time now. Can't really put a timeframe on when it started cause its been so long. Normal, soft, constipation, daihrea, small pebbles.. Recently many loose (very "dusty" stools smelling sour, and thin). I have also experience bleeding which I always associated with wiping too hard. Bright red blood on the toilet paper. But it all culminated with me have what I thought was a wet bowel movement until I saw the murder scene beneath me. There was so much blood as if I had finally gotten my period except out of the wrong door. Dark blood, mixed with stool. But the TP was completely saturated and it seemed to keep bleeding for a few minutes after.

Other "symptoms" iv had are loss of appetite, generally feeling fatigued (I'm just tired all the time and rest doesn't seem to help) and feelings of being bloated and gassy after eating anything really. Been rather constipated the last few days. Wierd thing since I had my blood bath of a bowel movement is I havnt seen much blood at all. I had it once I think since then. Although I have been rather constipated so I haven't had many bowel movements. And iv phsycally had to move the gas around in my gut myself with my hand on my stomach to release the pressure. I could feel/ hear the bubbles very easily. Also my lymph nodes in my pelvic area are either enlarged or I'm just so thin that I can actually feel them now. But they are firm and rubbery. And moveable.

Seeing the GI next. im Just looking to see if anyone had any similar stories or opinions. I don't feel well. And Im starting to feel like my docs are are a bunch of quacks and aren't diagnosing my correctly and are going to get me killed due to their ignorance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
Re: Another concerned hypochondriac... Opinions?

Partner had the same scenario...little blood, then a LOTTA blood, then blockage.
Removal of 8 inches of sigmoid followed quickly. No metastases and fine after 15+ years.

Of course the blood loss over time resulted in a considerable anemia which corrected soon after but he did not have weight loss.

Have a colonoscopy and a lower GI series ASAP.

Good Luck.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
(male)

KiloNovember HB User

Thanks for the reply, I will push for a colonoscopy when I see the GI next week.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
(male)

com77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloNovember View Post
Basically a reactive hyperplasia with no answer as to what was causing it.. Sweat..
The body is complicated, medicine in many ways is still in its infancy when it comes to certain things. So not unusual that there's "no known cause."

Quote:
I have lost 44lbs since January (2013). I was 195lbs now I am 151lbs this morning.
This is definitely concerning. You've done blood work for anemia?

Quote:
I have experienced very inconsistent bowel movements for quite some time now. Can't really put a timeframe on when it started cause its been so long. Normal, soft, constipation, daihrea, small pebbles.. Recently many loose (very "dusty" stools smelling sour, and thin).
This by itself is not particularly concerning because this can happen with anybody without any serious (or even known ) causes.

Quote:
I have also experience bleeding which I always associated with wiping too hard. Bright red blood on the toilet paper.
Rectal bleeding that occurs more than once must be checked out with a colonoscopy. Have you had a colonoscopy? If not, why not?

Bright red blood that occurs with burning and pain is usually hemmoroids. Blood that occurs without pain must be investigated as something else.

Why you haven't seen a GI doctor to get a colonoscopy after several incidents of rectal bleeding is beyond me...

Quote:
And Im starting to feel like my docs are are a bunch of quacks and aren't diagnosing my correctly and are going to get me killed due to their ignorance.
Unfortunately, doctors sometimes really miss the boat on things. It sometimes is necessary to take things into your own hands and insist on proper tests. In your case, the proper tests that you should do are:

- colonoscopy
- blood work: CBC, general liver and pancreas function
- endoscopy

There are a handful of diseases/conditions that exactly match all the symptoms you've described, and those include: colon cancer, various types of colitis/IBD, diverculosis, upper GI disorders. There's really no point in focusing on "cancer" because there's a roughly equal chance of any of about a half-dozen things. Its even possible to have a couple different things going on at the same time.

you simply need to go get the exams, no ifs-ands-or-buts

Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
(male)

KiloNovember HB User

Com77 Thanks for the reply.

Im seeing the GI tomorrow. I have been getting blood tests done about every few months since September of 2012. Last ones I got were on 6/27/13. Everything appears "normal" range. I also had a full body CT done on 7/3/13. Apparently nothing of interest was found to be in my abdomen. My nodes are still enlarged in my neck and chest. Also my spleen is a little enlarged (which is new). I guess if nothing was seen on a CT with contrast I dont have to worry too much about a tumor.

I didnt feel too concerned about the bleeding because I had small external hemorrhoid before. And thought that it may have been because of that. But no burning or pain with that much blood kinda concerned me.

The oncologist iv been seeing isnt convinced its anything malignant. But does think there is something going on. Probably some auto immune disease, maybe a IBD.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
(male)

com77 HB User

Quote:
I guess if nothing was seen on a CT with contrast I dont have to worry too much about a tumor.
Well, unfortunately a CT scan is not as accurate as a colonoscopy. But in any case, many things can bleed, not just tumors. Benign polyps, and various kinds of colitis/inflammation are the most common.

Quote:
The oncologist iv been seeing isnt convinced its anything malignant. But does think there is something going on. Probably some auto immune disease, maybe a IBD.
IBD is almost always accompanied with diarreah.

The following link, Table 2, gives you the different types of things people are diagnosed with when they go in with rectal bleeding: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1266237/

Pull up the complete article in PDF view so you can look at Table 2.

Last edited by com77; 07-10-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
(male)

KiloNovember HB User

Met with the Gastroenterologist today,

Have a appointment next friday for a endoscopy and colonoscopy to be done.

Should be interesting.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
(male)

com77 HB User

Quote:
Met with the Gastroenterologist today,

Have a appointment next friday for a endoscopy and colonoscopy to be done.

Should be interesting.
Post your results.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
(male)

KiloNovember HB User

I will post the results when I get them

Reply Reply

Tags
colon cancer, lymphoma