It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
(male)

tkm1791 HB User
Stomach Pouch After Resection

Some back gound info. 10 months ago I had colon resection, stage III. During the 6 months of chemo got a hernia, was fixed 10 weeks ago(mid April). Starting to feel better, some numdness in fingers and toes still. Energy level still up and down. But what I'm wondering about is now I have a stomach pouch. Was in decent shape before and didn't do much during recovery. But i'm very nervous to do ab work and get another hernia. Anybody have this happen and did you fix it somehow?

Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
(female)

teresa1953 HB User
Re: Stomach Pouch After Resection

Same thing has happen to me. My hernia is right in my naval. It does not really bother me as far as been painful. I go back to my MD in Sept that remove my tumor, before I have it repaired I am going to get his advice.. Was the procedure and recovery very painful?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
(male)

tkm1791 HB User

The surgery sucked, but was nothing like the resection. The pain and discomfort 1/10 of the resection maybe. Same surgeon did both. still have a pouch look but I think that is common. From what I read it's all about diet and cardio work to get rid of it. Did you have chemo at all? How was your recovery from the resection?

Old 08-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

Acey HB UserAcey HB User

I also developed a hernia right at the site of my navel. Although the MD told me he would be glad to repair it "with only a one night stay at the hospital" I just can't talk myself into having unnecessary surgery. Otoh, lol, even tho I am a senior citizen the sight of my now big belly (no exercise in fear of strain) and that ugly big "egg" protruding from my navel is depressing me more than having colon cancer. Perhaps it is childish of me but your posts made me feel better knowing I'm not alone. Acey

Old 08-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
(male)

tkm1791 HB User

The hernia surgery is not that bad. The big belly because of no exercise is. Have been walking for the past few months and eating better, so it's coming along.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
(female)

Acey HB UserAcey HB User

Nope! Not yet as it's 90 in the shade lately or storming like a hurricane. By the time I get home from work, fix dinner for us and do a few necessary chores I just can't get motivated to head out for a walk. Otoh I have set a deadline for myself so I'll get to it.

I realized in reading this thread I honestly had not thought about "pain" with the optional surgery. What I was thinking about was (1) I don't like hospitals
(2) I don't want any mesh inside me...seen too many commercials, lol and (3) although cancer doesn't run in my family I have heard and read a zillion times
that "opening a patient up" often leads to a rapid spread of cancer cells.

Heck, it may be an old wives tale but I'm going to look like a pregnant 70+ year old woman unless the hernia causes pain. I do eat healthily, btw. Thanks for asking. Acey

Reply Reply