It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board

New to this ... esophageal cancer symptoms

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
KPOopk
(male)

KPOopk HB User
New to this ... esophageal cancer symptoms

I am a 42 year old male and I'm having some symptoms that normally wouldn't have me concerned, but my grandfather on my mother's side died of esophageal cancer at 53 so I do not want to take any chances.

I've been experiencing chest pain to just below my sternum, to both sides of my chest and sometime the middle of my back and right shoulder blade.

I also feel it at the bottom of my right rib cage occasionally. I have pain and pleasure in my upper and lower abdomen often and I burp...a lot. I had an echo cardiogram a couple years ago and there were no signs of heart disease. I went to the gp last week where they took a chest x-ray and ekg and both were fine.

My bloodwork came back with elevated cholesterol and liver enzymes, but aside from that was fine.

I went to have a an ultrasound and aside from having a fatty liver everything was fine which was a relief but also concerning as I'm worried it's something worse.

I was a 20 year smoker and just quit (not relating to this) a few months ago. I used to be a heavy drinker, too.

I don't have any issues swallowing though I feel a lump in my throat when I swallow sometimes. I have not lost weight and, in fact, my doctor told me to go on a diet as I'm overweight, which I've subsequently done.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I can't control my anxiety which is another issue altogether, lol.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to KPOopk:
movielover40 (01-31-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
gingertea
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Re: New to this..esophageal cancer symptoms

Have you had an upper endoscopy? That's the best way to see any esophageal problems. Have your GP refer you to a gastroenterologist. Acid reflux can cause changes to the cells in your esophagus that need to be monitored. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Breezin
(male)

Breezin HB UserBreezin HB User
Re: New to this ... esophageal cancer symptoms

Gingertea is correct, have an endoscopy done. There are many things that can cause the symptoms you have described. Gallbladder stones, but you say you had an ultrasound and I would imagine that is one of the things they would have looked at. Heartburn from acid reflux can cause those symptoms and is common in smokers, drinkers and those overweight. Talk to your doctor, let him know your concerns, and tell him you would like an upper endoscopy.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
oldbeek
(male)

oldbeek HB User
Re: New to this ... esophageal cancer symptoms

Went through your symptoms for about 5 years. Finally got an upper endoscopy. Had the starting of Barrets disease. 50% of barrets end in cancer. Upper valve was just hanging open. Took radical surgery at USC Medical school to repair it. Actually had to remove part of my esophagus and reattach the repaired valve. That was 1995. Been good ever since but starting to have mild gurd again. Just getting old 75

Reply Reply