It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2002, 03:42 PM   #1

windchase168 HB User
Post esophagus cancer?

Lately I have discomfort during swallowing. So I have a barium swallow (X-ray upper GI series) done this week. And the report comes out like this:

Findings:

Preliminary film of the abdomen demonstrates no specific abnormality, Contrast material swallowed without apparent difficulty. In the upright position, there is mild spasm distal esophagus. In the recumbent position, some reflux could be seen fluoroscopically. I cannot define hiatus hernia with certainty but distal 2 or 3 cm of the esophagus do not open as well as average and region is probably mildly narrowed. I see no ulcerations. No gastric ulterations or filling defects. Normal appearing duodenal bulb. Proximal small bowel unremarkable.

IMPRESSION:

Intermittent gastroesophageal reflux with some spasm and probably mild narrowing of the distal esophagus. Only equivocal small hiatus hernia. No other significant abnormality.

--------------------------------
Is there anything to be concerned about? I am very annoyed by the 'narrowing of the distal esophagus'. Sounds like something very serious. Is it cancer-related? Thank you.

Old 10-19-2002, 08:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
No, it's not cancer related. Cancer is something you can see. It could be a genetic abnormality. Sometimes we're just born to have our bodies behave in certain ways. Good that you went to the doctor to get it checked out. Glad it's nothing serious. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2002, 10:00 PM   #3

Mmcginty HB User
Hi,
It does not necessarily mean the narrowing is cancer related. It sounds like you might just have an esophageal stricture that needs dilating. You need to fing you a good Gi doc.

Hope all is well,
Michelle

Old 10-20-2002, 07:03 AM   #4
Dan&cheryl

Hi, when you say discomfort do you mean it feels like there is a lump in your throat? If so, that could mean stress or as we used to call it nerves. Try some diazapam as a start if your Dr. will give it. I even went to an E.N.&T. guy with no luck. When I told my Gyn. he knew I had 2 teenaged daughters...lump gone.

Closed Thread