It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 07:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User
Upper esophageal cancer?

PLEASE I NEED ADVICE AND HELP
I have had an extremely bad "sore throat" under the adams apple in between the collarbone area for quite some time now and have nocturnal acid reflux that has recently gotten worse despite increasing my PPI's and Zantac. I also have chronic sinusitis and post nasal drip. The ENT said he can not see beyond the adams apple with his scope--that it is the part of the esophagus. The gastro doc did an upper endoscopy 2 years ago and said I had some gastritis and esophagitis. I assumed he looked at the sore spot in my "throat" (which wasn't this sore then). I recently got a copy of the report on my own and he was talking about at the bottom valve. When I asked him about the upper spot he said he can not see there with the scope --- that is for the ENT????????? Who do I go to so I can find out what is going on there?? I am afraid I might have cancer there. Isn't that where the upper valve is?

I also have a dry mouth and don't know if this is contributing to it also but that only started last March.

I am scared and don't know what to do. I know the post nasal drip is not helping the throat but the gastro doc doesn't seem to be worried about it. Also, I have recently developed an allergy to both synthetic and natural rubber (latex and non latex) and fluorinated rubber is in the tip and angle of the endoscope. My sinuses did swell up about 20 hours after the nose scope (I get delayed reactions) and I am scared also if I talked the gastro doc into doing another scope that my esophagus and throat will swell up after I am home. What would happen if I couldn't swallow?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Suggi

Last edited by suggi; 03-16-2005 at 07:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
(female)

flameangel HB User
Re: Upper esophageal cancer?

I would be more concerned with the rubber allergy you have mentioned, that sounds more likely to be the main reason for your throat restriction.

I am having a few problems at the moment giving the doc reason to think I could have an esohageal cancer or a maybe just an infection, will know more when tests come back.
If it gives you any comfort none of your symptoms match mine except for the difficulty swallowing but normally with a cancer in the esophageus the pain is much lower than you describe.
I'm no expert though or I wouldn't have asked questions on here myself....

Have you had blood tests done since this problem with your throat occured?
Does your doc know about the allergy?
Have you mentioned that the zantac and PPI's are not working anymore?
I would have thought all these need sorting out.
Keep us up to date because you are obviously distressed and worried about the worst case scenario, but try not to.
Good luck

Flame

Old 03-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User

Thanks Flame

Yes to all your questions. That is why I am concerned. I guess no one wants to touch me with all my allergies/adverse reactions (2 pages worth-mostly drug related. What did you mean when you said -

I would be more concerned with the rubber allergy you have mentioned, that sounds more likely to be the main reason for your throat restriction.

Please let me know and hope all goes well with you. I just can't take the pain anymore - between the dry mouth, the terribly sore "throat" and the acid coming up and hitting it I am getting very little sleep.

Thanks.

Suggi

Old 03-16-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

flameangel HB User

Suggi,

The reason I said I would be concerned is because I don't think allergies are taken seriously enough...

You say the endoscope has a rubber tip and caused an allergic reaction, if this is so then surely any allergy that causes swelling anywhere in the upper tract needs to be dealt with and not ignored, especially as you are having throat problems anyway.

You need to persevere with this and voice your concerns to the doctors about a possible medication (anti allergy drug) to take before any further tests.
That way at least they can perform the test properly without the allergy confusing what they can see and what they can't.

I can't help with the acid reflux as nothing has worked for me yet....

Sorry in advance if my reply doesn't help.

Flame

Old 03-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User

Flame thanks
Now I understand what you meant. You are right tho I am jumping to the worst scenario instead of being realistic. I guess that's because I already had a mastectomy and it's kind of in the back of my mind. It's only been 2 and a half years and my sore throat has been getting worse and worse.

Thanks again. Hope you find a med that works for you. let me know if you do...

Suggi

Closed Thread