It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Any advice for esophageal cancer?

My dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer a little over a month ago. After many tests, we have it staged at III with 2 lymph nodes involved. One in the actual tumor and one just above it.

My dad is 82yrs old, has lost 30lbs and is anemic. This particular oncologist (we'll be getting a second opinion) wants to do the full scope of treatment on my dad. Starting with chemo and radiation then the surgery (esophogeoectomy?) which I've read is pretty invasive. I don't think my father can survive this whole treatment. But I feel like this doctor just looks at it from a purely statistical standpoint and not a case by case situation.

I've been reading that chemo and radiation can be successful in treating this cancer alone. His is considered localized advanced (I believe) with no tumor outside of the esophageal wall causing restriction of food or swallowing problems.

So, my question is, has anyone had this cancer or known someone who has? I'm just trying to decide what we should have him do. Sounds like the treatment itself could kill him within a month.

Thanks.

Closed Thread