It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

texasgirl1107 HB User
Unhappy Esophageal Cancer

Can someone tell me the what to expect with this?
My husband is 43 years old and is being tested for it.
He has had trouble choking on solid foods for months and some liquids as of late, chest pain for the last year and painful swallowing. The Dr. did not see any when using a small scope, but, it would only go as far as his windpipe. The tissue was changing though, whatever that means. He went for a full chest xray yesterday and a barium swallow, which did show blockage. Next week is a full esophagus scope. We won't get results of barium and chest until next week. So, we're left waiting and worrying to death. What is next? He can't eat anything other than pudding and tomato soup. He has lost 7 pounds since Saturday. I don't know how much longer he will have to wait to eat again. In the mean time, my youngest son and I are guilt ridden about eating around him. I feel like I need to go without eating so as not to feel so bad. HELP!!

The following user gives a hug of support to texasgirl1107:
mgcook (12-07-2010)
Old 12-15-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: Esophageal Cancer

Those can be symptoms of esophageal cancer. If a tumor grows large enough it can inhibit swallowing. That is usually the first symptom. Has he had alot of problems with heartburn or does he smoke? I'm assuming he is having the endoscopy done next week. That should give you some answers. They will biopsy whatever is blocking his esophagus. Other things can block the esopha gus like strictures. If it is cancer and it has not spread they will most likely remove part of his esophagus. Next, they will pull his stomach up into his chest and attach it to the remainder of the esophagus. The part of the esophagus removed is the part with cancer. They also may remove part of the stomach. Chemotherapy and radiation are also other options to shrink tumors. Best of luck to you and your family.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
(female)

texasgirl1107 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnswms
Those can be symptoms of esophageal cancer. If a tumor grows large enough it can inhibit swallowing. That is usually the first symptom. Has he had alot of problems with heartburn or does he smoke? I'm assuming he is having the endoscopy done next week. That should give you some answers. They will biopsy whatever is blocking his esophagus. Other things can block the esopha gus like strictures. If it is cancer and it has not spread they will most likely remove part of his esophagus. Next, they will pull his stomach up into his chest and attach it to the remainder of the esophagus. The part of the esophagus removed is the part with cancer. They also may remove part of the stomach. Chemotherapy and radiation are also other options to shrink tumors. Best of luck to you and your family.
thank you for responding, I really appreciate it. I was afraid that I wasn't going to get an answer at all.
He does smoke, has for 30 years, although, since hearing of these test and the possibility, he hasn't picked another one up!! That was a big surprise!!
He has a ct scan tomorrow and a EDG for Tuesday. His ear nose and throat, is on Friday for the results. I'm scared to death!! I have only told 3 people, until we know for sure.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
(female)

SandyJ15 HB User

Hello,
My brother-in-law age 49 was just diagnoised with adenocarcinoma.
His doctors tell him it is one of the worse kind.
Reason for this:, his age, he is a male and he is caucassion.
The other reason is that he has GERD. WIth this the cancer has formed in his esphogus, the lower end closer to his stomach. It has already spread to his liver.
They tell him he has had it for about 1 year now. The reason it was not detected was because typically the tumor will grow across the esphogus, his grew in a downward motion, therefore we were unable to catch it at its early stage.
He is a strong follower in GOD, he is a preacher, so we are believing that GOD will heal him, create one of those wonderful miracles.
So to all of you who deal with this devil, just BELIEVE.
God Bless all.

Sandy
from OH

Old 02-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
(female)

Meme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnswms View Post
I was wondering how everything turned out? I didn't see that you posted so I was just checking?
My dad died from this and I just can't believe there isn't more of an awareness of this since there is so many people that have chronic heartburn...UGH
Fill us in.
I hope it's good news and not bad!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
(female)

Meme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJ15 View Post
Hello,
The other reason is that he has GERD. WIth this the cancer has formed in his esphogus, the lower end closer to his stomach. It has already spread to his liver.
They tell him he has had it for about 1 year now. The reason it was not detected was because typically the tumor will grow across the esphogus, his grew in a downward motion, therefore we were unable to catch it at its early stage.
He is a strong follower in GOD, he is a preacher, so we are believing that GOD will heal him, create one of those wonderful miracles.
God Bless all.

Hi I was wondering how your brother is doing?
This cancer is so bewildering to me. My dad died from this a year ago and he lived one year from his dx. It's such a deadly cancer because usually it's so far advanced before any signs of problems are found!
I wish you and him the best.
Please let us know how he is doing.

Sandy
from OH

Last edited by Meme; 02-16-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
(female)

Meme HB User

[QUOTE=SandyJ15;2711052]Hello,
God Bless all

Hi I was wondering how your brother is doing?
This cancer is so bewildering to me. My dad died from this a year ago and he lived one year from his dx. It's such a deadly cancer because usually it's so far advanced before any signs of problems are found!
I wish you and him the best.
Please let us know how he is doing.

Closed Thread