It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User
Testing for Esophageal Cancer!?!

I went to the doctor to find out if I had food allergies because I've been fighting constant heartburn, constipation, and abdominal pains for three years and recently found out that food allergies can manifest that way, rather than the dramatic swelling and hives you hear about on TV with regard to shellfish or strawberries, etc. SO. As soon as I told her that my dad died of this cancer in 1992, she decided to get me in for a "scope" -- which is scheduled for Wednesday and the other concerns just never got addressed. And she said that esophagheal cancer is hard to detect and treat. So...???

I read online that this usually happens in men over 50, heavy smokers/drinkers. I am none of those things! Why was this such a red flag?! I've been dealing with MS for a few years, so nothing surprises me, but, geeez! Cancer??

Old 12-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
(female)

millicent123 HB User
Re: Testing for Esophageal Cancer!?!

Lisa:

I had the scope down my throat and they found an ulcer. I was having those symptoms too. im 33 and female. this was 6 years ago.

I was confused cause my "ulcer" tested negative for h. pylori, which is found in nearly all ulcers, unless taking meds, like aspirin.

A few months later i was diagnosed with food allergies by a skin ***** test on my back. Then confirmed with a blood test. I'm allergic to almost everything and I don't get hives or itchiness at all. My tongue gets patches and sore, though. Oh, and shortness of breath and post nasal drip.

Esophageal cancer probably is hard to diagnose and treat, but your dad's habits may have been different than yours. His diet, if he drank alcohol, if he had reflux (which can be a cause of your symptoms), if he smoked, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread