It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
(female)

ion22 HB User
esophageal cancer

why does one with esophageal cancer have back pain? (between the scapulae).What occurs to develop this pain?Thank you

Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: esophageal cancer

sorry you have this. my brother in law had this form of cancer too. the only thing that i can think of that would be causing any real pain would be that the nerves up there are just being affected too, you know what i mean? alot would depend upon exactly where your cancer actually is and what it also is pushing against? you can also have what is called "referred pain' where just because of the way the nerves actually run, it can cause pain in another area too? but there is also the real possibility here too that you could, besides having the cancer going on, also have some level of c spine problems too, or even some level of compression upon your spinal cord. have they done an MRI on that neck area and actually noted anything going on within the c spine area too like herniations or stenosis or anything affecting nerves?

this is all just guesses as i am in no way an actual doc. you should probably speak with your oncologist to really just see what is actually being affected up there by the cancer itself. he or she would be able to tell you by looking at any of your scans, much better than anyone else could. again,i really am so sorry you are having to deal with cancer at all. i do hope this helps some? good luck to you with your fight. Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
(female)

ion22 HB User
Re: esophageal cancer

i feel so embarassed right now,,
i dont have cancer,, i was only asking as i am studying for my semio.exam and it said that one of the symptoms is back pain, and i just wanted to know what provokes it. i also thought it was nerves being affected.i always need to know why something causes a symptom and the pathophysiology behind it. i am so sorry having to put you through an emotional state , if i have. did your brother in law get it removed surgically??
thank you nevertheless for taking the time to reply
have a lovely day

Closed Thread