It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
(female)

bennykatemum993 HB User
Esophageal Cancer Spread to Liver

My 60 y/o mother-in-law has recently been dx with advanced esophageal cancer (at the junction of the esophagus and the stomach). She had a PET scan and there is at least one metastatic lesion on the liver (I am not sure what size) and a spot in the brain, although her GP (not her oncologist) thought that could be a cyst. Does anyone know what sort of prognosis this carries? Any previous talk of primary tumour removal has been dropped due to the metastases so in terms of life expectency, are we talking weeks? months? years? I know liver cancer, metastatic or otherwise, is not good. My MIL is also obese, a badly managed diabetic and in generally not so great health, which obviously is not helpful.

Any experience any of you have had with this would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User
Re: Esophageal Cancer Spread to Liver

Sorry to hear about your MIL, I know this has to be an uncertain time for you.

My older brother has a reoccurence of his "throat " cancer as my mother calls it. I have tried to pin her down on what kind it is. She said his started out as lymphoma and then esophageal ? Is this possible? Now he too has been told to go home and get his will made out etc. He is also a heavy drinker and smokes, like your MIL not too good for beating cancer.

I hope your family can get some answers soon. But I think a lot of drs don't like to say"you only have a few weeks, months" as they can't really predict the outcome, only God can.
Bonnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Esophageal Cancer Spread to Liver

My husband was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer with mets to the liver in Nov. 2004. He received radiation and chemo and survived until Nov. 2006. He was 59 when he passed and had been in good health before his diagnosis. So sorry about your MIL. It's a horrible disease and you will all be in my prayers. God Bless

Closed Thread