It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User
squamous cell ca of esophagus in situ??? anyone out there with it?

Hi,
I have posted on several esophageal cancer boards but no one has the squamous variety higher up in the esophagus. Right now I am getting an EUS next week because the PET/CAT scan did not light up in esophagus, other areas but thinking they are inflammation. So right now I have in situ and the thinking is the dr will biopsy and scoop or vacuum out the cancer. That is what we are hoping. Just wondering if anyone on the board has this type of cancer. It is more rare than the adenocarcinoma of the esophagus which is at the junction of stomach and esophagus but so far can't find anyone with it. I am very lucky at this stage because I decided to get my 3 yr EGD to check on my Barretts, so a word of advice if the dr says get regular checkups do it!!!
Donna70

Old 08-15-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: squamous cell ca of esophagus in situ??? anyone out there with it?

Donna,

Can you share what your symptoms were and how you found out you had this? Sorry you are dealing with this but thank you for sharing.....Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
(female)

Hi Oleander,
Well my story is kind of complicated. Years ago, I had a stricture in my esophagus the kind they call achalasia and it was broken open with balloon dilatation. I was always told there would be a chance of developing ca later. And also I have had years of acid reflux, regurge etc and on meds for it but supposed to get regular follow up EGDs which I did. Three yrs ago had an EGD and they found a small strip of Barretts and told me to come back in 3 yrs for another EGD which I did now but they found the squamous cell higher up in the esophagus. I had been having breakthru heartburn on Aciphex and because of its cost asked my gastro to change me to another and was put on Protonix. She said I had food stuck in my esophagus from top to bottom and it was one of the irritated areas where she biopsied and it came back squamous cell. Tomorrow I get the staging EUS and hopefully removal of the cancer part, but in reality it could be a higher stage at the end of all this. just hoping for a good outcome.
Donna70

Old 08-22-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
(female)

Hi,
Well they could not take the squamous cell ca out. It turns out I have it in a lymph node and I am being staged at III. have to go to cancer institute next week. Not what I wanted but I will fight this. take care,
Donna70

Old 08-23-2009, 03:36 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

Hi Donna, just wanted to wish you the very best with your fight. I pray you are cured. Sounds like 3 years is too long between EGD's. God Bless.

Closed Thread