It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
(male)

wildcat2000 HB User
Esophagus Cancer spread to Brain (Cerebellum)?

Long story short my dad was diagnoised with Esophagus Cancer in 2007, had reconstruction surgery had Chemo in 2008 and was fine for quite some time.

This past week he became dizzy and started vomiting. MRI showed some masses that were in the Cerebellum.

Couldnt really find anything on Google. Just wanted to know if theres something I missed. Whats the survival rate of that? Since its not exactly a brain tumor (I mean it didnt start there).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
(female)

researcher31 HB User
Re: Esophagus Cancer spread to Brain (Cerebellum)?

You have a very similar situation to me. My Dad was diagnosed with esophagus cancer in 2009, had surgery to remove the tumor, and chemo and radiation. By Dec '09 he was deemed cancer free. May 2010 he was losing weight and doctors did an MRI and cancer was back. He's been on chemo and just recently has had severe vertigo symptoms including dizziness and vomiting. MRI showed brain lesions on the cerebellum. They haven't confirmed whether it's cancer or not but I'm thinking it may be. The thing is when my Dad got his last routine PET scan it did not include the head. If I could please ask you some questions:

Is your Dad still living? What were the treatments that he went through for this? When they did his PET scans did they ever include his brain? Do you know how many patients his oncologist treated with his type of cancer?

I'm doing a lot of research on this and trying to find all information possible. Thank you for your time and I'm sorry your Dad has to go through this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
(female)

sadiea HB User

my dad who is 86 was just diagnosed with esophageal cancer showing a tumor in his cerebelim and lung. He was miss diagnosed by what seems is too many doctors over the past few years. He has had a persistant cough and what started the doctors visits was a lose of voice. Turns out his vocal cords are frozen because the tumor is outside the esophagus. Dont know entire picture yet as this so recent we will see doctor on wednesday.

How old is your dad? I do know the tumor in his brain is esphageal cancer. But its also supposed to be a rare occurance. Have been doing lots of research. Maybe we could exchange thoughts. It is very overwhelming.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
(female)

researcher31 HB User

My Dad was 72. He passed away April 2011. He didn't last long after they confirmed that the cancer had spread to the brain. It was a shock to us because just in February he had a PET scan and they told him the cancer had not spread and that the chemo he was on was shrinking the tumor. He appeared to be doing very well then too. After it was found that my Dad had brain lesions, I asked him when he had this last PET scan whether it included his head. He said no it was only from the neck down. I think the last time he had a PET scan that included his head was maybe September or October the prior year.
In my opinion, going from what my parents told me, my Dad's oncologist was not experienced with cases of esophageal cancer. I kept telling them to seek another opinion but they liked this doctor. I think it is very important from the get go in battling cancer to ask the oncologist how may patients have they treated with this type of cancer. Please make sure your Dad is seeing someone very experienced with esophageal cancer.

Closed Thread