It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2003, 12:59 PM   #1

c_s HB User
Unhappy My mum has kidney cancer

My mum (age 54) was diagnosed with kidney cancer just before Xmas last year. She had her left kidney removed in January this year, and until recently all her scans etc were clear.

She started to get some pain recently and following more scans, has now been told that the cancer has spread to the spine and the lung.

She will be starting immunotherapy treatment (interferon) next week, and then radiotherapy in a month or so time.

I just wanted support and information really, from anyone who may have been through something similar.

Most of the time I try not to think too far into the future, as if I do I get upset as I imagine the worst.

I am also getting increasingly angry at the delays that occur in getting treatment. My mum first started getting pain about 2 months ago now and it has taken this long to get treated. It is just so infuriating.

Hope to hear from some of you soon?

Claire

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2003, 10:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_s
My mum (age 54) was diagnosed with kidney cancer just before Xmas last year. She had her left kidney removed in January this year, and until recently all her scans etc were clear.

She started to get some pain recently and following more scans, has now been told that the cancer has spread to the spine and the lung.

She will be starting immunotherapy treatment (interferon) next week, and then radiotherapy in a month or so time.

I just wanted support and information really, from anyone who may have been through something similar.

Most of the time I try not to think too far into the future, as if I do I get upset as I imagine the worst.

I am also getting increasingly angry at the delays that occur in getting treatment. My mum first started getting pain about 2 months ago now and it has taken this long to get treated. It is just so infuriating.

Hope to hear from some of you soon?

Claire
I'm so sorry to hear about your mother....I can offer a little bit of reasoning as to why it took her to long to receive the treatment. First of all, things like radiotherapy require a lot of planning before they take place. The person's anatomy must be carefully marked, they must go through a simulation where the x-ray beams are aimed, the field of treatment is set, and any molds made to shield areas not receiving radiation etc. etc. This takes a while. Secondly, not just everyone can be put on treatments like interferon. The extent of the spread of the cancer must be determined, and whether the patient can tolerate the treatment.

The other big thing is, because the cancer has spread to the spine, the oncologists have to be careful that the toxicity of the treatment they administer doesn't exceed or even come close to the amount of benefit the treatment is to give. I say this, because likely, the doctors are treating at this point to alleviate your mother's symptoms as opposed to curing her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread