It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 AM   #1
(female)

brighterday HB User
Arrow kidney cancer "mets"

Hello,
I would like to hear from anyone who has or knows someone to be fighting RCC(Kidney cancer) My husband has had it for 3 years and has had 3 surgeries. He will have his fourth surgery this month.He has had "mets" in his lung and now they "think" in his adrenal gland.They are not sure what the growth is until they get in there.He woke me at 5:00 this morning because he needed to talk.He is afraid, but it is so hard for men to share because of how they are raised to be strong.I just listen and let him talk and I try to never say that I understand because I can't possibly know.He has been strong all through this but at this moment I feel that he thinks that it will keep comming back.He said how many more parts can you take out before they say we stop here.He fears losing his one and only kidney.He said that if they find it to be bad just sew him up because he wants to live the life that he has without being on a kidney machine. Thanks for reading this I just needed to tell someone how I feel.

The following user gives a hug of support to brighterday:
JodiM (10-07-2011)
Old 05-14-2004, 06:05 AM   #2

worknmom HB User
Re: kidney cancer "mets"

Hello brighterday. I know what your going through with your husband. My mother is only 55 and 2 years ago had to have her left kidney removed. She has RCC as well. Now it is in her lungs. They just done surgery on the 29th of April to remove a spot from her right lung. While they were in there they noticed another spot and removed it as well. When the pathology report came back there was not just the 2 there was a total of 8 spots. None of these but one showed up on the CT Scan and Petscan. Now this doctor is telling her that he doesn't think she should go through another surgery for the left lung! I've been told over and over that Radiation and Chemo doesn't help kill RCC. Then I've been told by some (not doctors) that is does work! I'm at a loss I don't know if it will or not. I've been researching and when we go back to the doctor I'm going to be asking about immune therapy.
I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in this world. I hope that everything works out for you and your husband. I'll keep you two in my prayers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #3

Elwell HB User

I also can understand what you are dealing with. We are in the wait-mode right now. Husband (45 years) had a kidney removed in 97' and a lung removed last June. He has suffered from pain since the surgery in June. He went for his CT scan yesterday. (2 spots were found- either cancer or scar tissue is what they are telling us) The doctors are now getting together and trying to decide what to do. He's been in pain since the surgery... Strangly the areas he is having pain is also the areas showing the questionable findings on the CT. I don't know if scar tissue shows itself like cancer on the CT but until we find out more, we wait and worry. This is graduation party week for my youngest daugher..... we went through this same wait-game last year during graduation for my oldest daughter. I've somehow managed to make it through the stress of graduation yet stay strong for the family. I keep asking why...... I keep longing for some "normality". We've dealt with this 2x before, we can deal with it again should the "C" be in the picture. If it is cancer then they are talking radiation/ chemo.. if not, they are sending us to a neurologist to kill some nerves that are causing the pain. My best to both of you.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:37 PM   #4

Elwell HB User

They did a needle biopsy on the "suspisious" area. It came back cancer free. On the call to the doctor the next day (they'd left a phone message) the nurse informed us the "Doctor didn't believe the results of the biopsy". We now go back in 6 weeks for another ct scan. I thought it was pretty rude of the nurse. All she'd had to of said was that the doctor wanted to follow up in 6 weeks. We aren't letting what she said get us down. If the biopsy was "cancer-free" we will live with that for 6 weeks. (they tested several areas of the "growth" and all came up negative for cancer. If the CT scan shows something different in July, we will decide what to do at that time.

How did your husbands surgery go?? Thinking of both of you. I know exactly what you are going through.

Old 06-02-2004, 09:40 AM   #5
(female)

brighterday HB User

Thanks for writing. I had almost given up hope in the boards that anyone knew about this cancer.I pray that your husband will be alright and that the spots are just scar tissue.Tell him that my husband has pain in his areas of surgery at times.The doctor says that the muscle in those places never can be the same again.I hope that they can get rid of his pain because its bad enough to have this to worry about much less be in pain all of the time.
I salute you for going trough a graduation and dealing with this and now another.Tell them condradulations too!!!My husband had surgery during my oldest sons birthday last year and now he has surgery during his birthday this year. He will turn 18 years old. We have a 10 year old too. People don't realize how hard it is on the mothers to deal with your husband and best friends illness and keep or TRY to keep things as normal as possible as a family.God gave mothers a very special quality to do this don't you think?
You said that the doctors are talking radiation and chemo? Our doctor does not recommend any treatment but surgery.I don't understand sometimes.
Yes that nurse was inconsiderate.Just look at it this way even though she works in this everyday there is no way she can comphrend what we are going through unless she has been there.They don't know that we hang on every word listening for hope and light at the end of our journey with cancer in every word that they speak.
My husbands surgery was postponed until July 8 because he got sick with his stomach.He has diverticulitis(Spelled wrong) he has to take a month of meds before he can have surgery.They will take out his one and only adrenal gland.He has had kidney and adrenal gland removed,2 lung surgeries and now this.
How many and what kind of things have you two been through? My prayers and heart is with you and once again thanks for taking the time to talk to me.I hate that you are going through this but it helps to have someone to talk too.

Old 06-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
(female)

brighterday HB User

I begin to think after I had wrote.You did not mention your husband having a PET Scan.Has he had one?This is a knew test that shows even a minor cell of cancer.It glows if it is cancer.If they are wondering about my husbands spot being cancer after cat scan they schedule this test(they have to mix special meds) and it cost about $1300.00 but it helps when there is question.This medicine attaches to the cells and they glow.It helped to distinguish a spot in my husbands lung just months ago.It did not glow so it must be scar tissue and surely the next ct scan he had ,it had shrunk some so they definitely knew that it was scar tissue.He has ct scan one month next three months PEt scan next three ct scan etc. Ask about it anyway it would not hurt.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
Veteran

positive4u HB User

Have any of your husbands tried interferon injections? Not curative but helps slow this cancer down.
Positive4U

Old 06-04-2004, 04:08 PM   #8

Elwell HB User

Good to hear from you. Randy has had a kidney removed and a lung removed. Both were found by a fall. The kidney cancer was found when he was out running in the dark early one AM and tripped on a water main cap( our city likes to put them in them in the middle of the sidewalk- NO COMPLAINTS HERE!!!) Anyway..... a little blood in his urine later and an ultrasound....... we underwent surgery the next day. Six years later, while out mushroom hunting he slipped down an embankment and partially collapsed a lung on a small diameter tree that had been cut off about a foot off the ground. During the Xray, the mass was discovered. The cancer was on the right side, the collapsed lung on the left. We waited over a month for the collapsed lung to heal so they could take out the lung (cancer was in lymph nodes but in order to get to them they had to remove the lung). They took the lung a year ago June 2nd. They did a PET scan on Randy at that time to decide if surgery was an option or if the cancer had spread to much His breathing is good, however the pain continues to be a problem. His kidney operation never left him w/ ongoing pain. They say they damaged nerves during this surgery. He's been in severe pain until last week. They switched his meds from Duragesic patches to methadone after we consulted the doctor about some "cheaper" meds. His pain has gone from a 7 down to a 2. Unbelievable... It really makes me mad. Randy goes back July 8th (what a coinsidence on dates....) for another CT Scan. Depending on that outcome, we will decide if we get another opinion. I had also thought about asking for a PET scan at that time. That WILL show the difference between cancer & scar tissue. I think the location of the cancer tumors must determine if they do surgery, do chemo (which they say doesn't do much) or do nothing at all. I agree with you in that there isn't much "Talk" on the boards regarding Kidney cancer and it mestations (sp) I've been here and also the lung cancer board but he technically doesn't have lung cancer but thats the only place I've found any info regarding removing lungs and its outcomes. Not alot of Kidney talk anywhere. Must go. Thanks for writing.

Old 07-11-2004, 09:57 PM   #9
(female)

buni1 HB User

My heart goes out to all of you with a loved one suffering from this type of cancer. My father was diagnosed 8 years ago and right away he had his kidney removed but it spread to his lungs and his liver and hes been gone for 2 years now. I know 1 person whos father is still alive 10 years after his kidney was removed and his cancer spread as well ...I know alot of his treatment was positive thinking and other stuff that i wont go into but my dad eventually just lost the urge to fight....
Again I wish all of you the very best and there is always hope--

My prayers to you.

Closed Thread