It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
(female)

dmcguire HB User
Melanoma and Kidney Cancer

My husband has been diagnosed with both melanoma and kidney cancer. He is being treated for the melanoma with Interferon but nothing yet for the kidney cancer. Does anyone have any information or experience with either? Thanks for your advice.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
(female)

lilsis1071 HB User
Re: Melanoma and Kidney Cancer

Hi there DMC

I am sorry to hear about your husband. I do have some experience with the kidney cancer as my father has it also. As you may have read the other post on the "kidney cancer warriors". May I ask if the Interferon is a IV type treatment. If so it is also something they use to treat Kidney cancer and this is probably why it may seem like they are only treating the melanoma. Please correct me if I am wrong. Ask questions with the doctor if you are unsure.

If you need I will be here to listen and answer any other questions you may have. If i can help I will.

A/F Wendy "lilsis" prayers and thoughts are with you both.

Last edited by mod_007; 07-13-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Not editted, but what is A/F? please follow posting guidelines re abbreviations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

dmcguire HB User

Hi Wendy,

The Interferon is for the melanoma since it is the more aggressive of the two cancers. I have gotten different responses with one doctor saying that with melanoma the prognosis is usually 6 months to one year. He started Interferon one month ago 5 days a week and is now starting it 3 days a week for the next 11 months. Do you have any knowledge of Melanoma or Interferon?
Thanks for your comments.

Debbie

Old 07-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
(female)

lilsis1071 HB User

Debbie,

I have no knowledge of melanoma and or the interferon. I just know that the interferon was an opition for my father when he was first told he needed to start treatment for the kidney cancer.

How has your husband been since he started treatment ? Has he had any surgery for the kidney cancer? Please let me know if you have any other questions on the kidney cancer. I am sure you probably have done some research online. Dont let it all scare you. Everyone is different on how they handle treatments and what not.

A Friend, Wendy

Old 07-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

DMC,

Don't know if it is of much help, but my brother was dxed with stage 3 melanoma and was given interferon. - He is doing great now, almost 8yrs later.

When he took the interferon it mainly made him very tired and sometimes flu-like symtoms. - He worked half days during his tx for about a year. - His boss was very accomadating.

So sorry about your husband.-Hope his treatments help him.
God bless.
Leea

Old 07-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
(female)

dmcguire HB User

Thank you for your information. My husband also has kidney cancer which they have not done anything for yet. He is 61. He started on the Interferon a month ago 5x a week and now self-injects 3x a week. He sleeps about 17 hours a day and is frequently cold in the hot Texas heat. So far, that's pretty much all of his side effects.

That is great news about your brother.

Debbie

Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
(female)

dmcguire HB User

Wendy,

My husband has been doing well since he began his Interferon. He sleeps about 17 hours a day and is frequently cold, but other than that, he's been okay. He had surgery to remove one of his lymph nodes when he was diagnosed with melanoma in his neck but no surgery for the kidney cancer as of yet, although I do believe he will have his kidney removed.

It is believed that these two cancers are associated with Agent Orange from Viet Nam. Do you have any info. regarding that?

Thanks for your info.

Debbie

Closed Thread